029 | 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐒

HEARTSTRINGS

When you make it to the top of the stairs, you walk past Kenma's gaming station and follow Kuroo straight into his room where he swiftly pulls you inside and closes the door. An air of urgency cloaks him as he paces back and forth before his dark crimson bed, his fingers clinging to his hair.

You raise an eyebrow at his frantic demeanour. "What's up with you?"

Kuroo's gaze darts to you, his eyes wide with a mixture of anxiety and bewilderment. "What am I going to do about this?" He gestures at his hair, entangling his fingers in his inky locks. "I'm not like Kenma and Tora-kun. I can't just cut or dye my hair."

You approach him with a soft chuckle, closing the distance by molding your body against his. "I don't know," you muse, draping your arms around his neck and colouring his cheeks with a blush. "You better get used to wearing hats and hoodies."

Kuroo's face contorts into a sour expression. "No way."

"Well, it's either hats and hoodies, or you get a fresh cut."

His Adam's apple bobs as he swallows nervously. "Fine," he complies, stealing quick glances at your lips. "I think I can get used to wearing hats and hoodies for the rest of my life."

"Kuroo?"

"Mhm?"

"My eyes are up here."

A sheepish grin curves his lips as he redirects his gaze to your eyes. "Of course. My bad." He laughs awkwardly, draping his arms around your waist and holding you close.

Curiosity piqued, you tilt your head, attempting to catch a glimpse of Kuroo's right eye hidden behind his fringe. "Why do you cover your eye with your hair?"

"It's a weird story," he tries to dodge the question, but he sees you waiting for an answer. "When I was younger, I got bullied by some of the mean kids in my class. They used to say that the colour of my eyes were ugly— well, they said that it reminds them of cat piss."

Your laughter escapes involuntarily. "Cat piss? Really?"

"Yeah," Kuroo replies with a soft chuckle of his own. "But because of that, I try to hide my eye. It wasn't just for the black eye Iwaizumi gave me. If I covered both of my eyes, then I would be stumbling around blind."

You nod your head slowly, realizing that even with a friendly, outgoing, and geeky personality like Kuroo's, he's gone through bullying himself. It reminds you of how Asa was crying earlier in her school, and how the simple sight of you made her so happy. Just picturing a smaller version of Kuroo with Asa's watering eyes breaks your heart.

Your hand ascends gently, sweeping the hair from his eye. Initially, he squeezes it shut, then gradually peeks, unveiling both his eyes. "Cat piss is a bit of a stretch," you jest, making him grin. "To me, your eyes look more like gold shining in the dark. Maybe if you didn't hide so much, they'd shine in the light."

Kuroo's gaze softens, touched by your compliment. He understands the lasting impact that cruel words can have, having suffered them in his childhood. Now, Asa shares a similar experience, her tears a testament to the pain words can inflict.

Inexplicably, he finds his head drawing nearer to yours, a magnetic pull neither of you can resist. His heart races with anticipation, and he halts just moments before your lips can meet. An expectant hush fills the space, your breaths collectively suspended. The unspoken desire between you both lingers in the air, palpable yet restrained, as if he's silently urging you to bridge the remaining distance.