Epilogue

Abhijeet's POV

A few months later

I looked around at the chitter chatter going on and I have never felt this happy for a while.

Today is Mehul's birthday and for that we have the whole family . Yes, of course except Amma and Acha. As expected Amma denied while Acha came yesterday and wished him.

He said he didn't want any awkwardness on the auspicious day.  Even though we all are trying to move on, some glitches are still here and there. I was in a way glad he was not here and if it makes me a bad son , so be it . As of now I am focusing on being a good father.

A sudden laughter drew my attention and the scenario in front automatically brought a smile on my face.

Raj Chettan was having a blast with Adi while Ram Chettan took to Saahil like fish to pond.

Just beyond the balcony, I can see the kids in their own world with Meenu Chechi and Sapna on watch.

Suddenly,  a movement behind me caught my attention and I turned to see Chettathi setting up the table.

The slight smile on her face was worth a thousand words. It reminded me of the time when we used to have a blast together.

The memories it invoked were bittersweet for me. In all the ups and downs of the past months, I didn't get a chance to properly address Chettathi. I know I was procrastinating but what to do, my courage leaves me whenever I think how I failed her when she needed me the most.  But now I can't put it off any longer. We have all come a long way and this matter also need to be put to rest.

With renewed determination, I stepped forward gingerly.

"Chettathi..." I called out softly as I reached her side.

She turned to me with a brilliant smile which slightly dimmed as soon as she saw the tension on my face.

Her eyes scrunched in confusion and that reflected in her question too.

"Abhi, what is the matter? You seems anxious"

Taking a deep breath and joining my hands, I opened up my heart

" I am really SORRY,  Chettathi.  I pride on knowing you best but the time when you needed me by my side, I fai..led. I.. should have known that a pure heart like you can never...ever hurt anyone. I don't have any justification except I was swayed away by the emotions. I could not hold your hands...., even then you didn't leave mine. I am humbled by the way you took care of Mehul when we couldn't , for that we will be eternally grateful....We hurt..."

"Stop right there, Abhi. You did not do  any wrong. You reacted to what was presented in front of you. In that circumstances, Megha needed you more. Never apologise for making your wife your priority. You never disappointed me, yes I won't lie that I was not hurt at that moment. But it lasted only for a split of a second as it was replaced by this immense pride for my friend and brother"

"Still we were wrong, Chettathi "

We turned our gaze to Megha as she joined our conversation.

With a smile aimed at me, she looked at Chettathi and continued,

"You have sidelined it whenever I tried to talk to you saying mistakes have been done from both sides. But Chettathi you have atoned for the mistakes, so won't you give us at least a chance to apologize"

"Megha, what I did was not a mistake but a sin . Being a mother and a woman, I tried to give the worst pain that could ever be. You were already suffering the pain of your loss and I compounded it but snatching Mehul. I became selfish. Whatever reason I may give, it also doesn't  justify....."