Chapter 69

Abhijeet's POV

"This is for the best, Acha" I said as softly as possible.

"Yes, the best punishment deemed for us" he replied sarcastically

Seeing my head low, he continued,

" I don't blame you. We should take responsibility for the situation we are in. I only have one request, please don't shut me out of your lives.....Mehul's life. I know I don't have any right to ask but show this one little mercy on your Acha" He said with joined hands.

Somewhere it niggled me to see my father so disheartened.

But before I could offer any promises, Ram Chettan stopped me with a hard glare.

"Wah....! What ungrateful sons I have? All of them are leaving their parents at the time when they should have become their support" Amma's voice thundered in the silence.

We all turned to her but my gaze couldn't identify this woman with the mother I know. My heart broke.... again with the realization of what I lost.

She was about to continue with her venomous words when Raj Chettan interferred.

"No body is leaving you alone. You have three SONS and I promise that one of them will always be with you."

Turning to Acha, he announced our decision

"Acha, as you know Abhi is returning back, as his work is based there while Ram and Meenu have decided to shift near her parents....."

"What is the need for him to go there?"

I could see the frown lines of annoyance on Raj Chettan when Amma jumped in between.

It is not easy being the eldest. They are always expected to do the right thing, never to falter forgetting they are also humans.

Still with patience, Raj Chettan responded to Amma before Ram Chettan could snap.

" Amma, they are also well past the age where they can't stay alone and it is the responsibility of the children, MALE or FEMALE, to look after the parents in the hour of need. As it is not possible for Megha, Ram and Meenu is the perfect choice"

Amma was not satisfied with Chettan's explanation which was clearly evident on her face.

"Don't I know the real reason" Amma muttered under her breath, audible to all of us.

Not one to take any taunt silently,  Ram Chettan responded back.

" You are right, Amma. Meenu's parents are one of the reasons but the main reason is I don't want to bring  up my son in this environment.  It is true, till now you have been good to MY family but who knows when it changes and I am not like Abhi or Raj Chettan. I don't have their patience. It is better to leave now in somewhat good terms rather than completely breaking off later..... Anyway, we cannot be like before. That is the reality that we have to accept."

Saying this, Ram Chettan left, leaving behind a fuming Amma and distraught Acha.

"Acha, in a way what Ram Chettan said is true. We can never go back to the way we were. We all need time to heal and come to terms with our new reality. It is better to be far but together rather than put on a show of togetherness. However, we may put it, the truth is I will never be able to trust my family with Amma. At every juncture, every action will get questioned and that is not good for our relationship. So please give your blessing for our new beginnings."

This time I joined my hands in front of him.

He smiled sadly in acceptance. That is when Raj Chettan stepped forward and took hold of Achan's hand. Squeezing it gently in assurance he said,