Chapter 3

Abhijeet 's POV

I am scared to death thinking about the storm ahead. My heart is racing like its running a marathon. The dark night feels like an omnious warning for the upcoming  tempest.

What to do? How to tackle this situation? Will it again destroy my home ? All these thoughts are taking away my peace. I have always kept the pain and betrayal locked away but it seems like it is finally pushing its way out.

Megha....

Whenever I am tensed, her one glimpse is enough to calm me but today the same face is giving me the utmost pain.

She looked so happy today. The twinkle in her eyes, her laughter, her unfiltered talks , I couldn't stop myself from staring at her . I wanted to absorb her innocence as much as I can as the future is determined to steal this smile from her.

My mind and heart is at loggerheads.  Whatever decision I take, I know it will hurt Megha.

Suddenly a hand wrapped itself around me. I closed my eyes while a smile curved on my lips. This touch is my heaven. I could feel my heart rate coming down to normal.  She is my nirvana.

" I love you , Jaan"

" Then tell me what is bothering you"

I turned to look at her in surprise

" What! Do you really think you could hide anything from me. Even if you don't tell me anything, I could always read you"

I stared at her with all the love in my heart. I will never be able to convey to her in words what I actually feel for her. I love you feels very small in front of my emotions.

Her love has always been my strength and now this same love is making me weak . I don't ever want to see the old pain resurface in her eyes but I know it is inevitable.  I just pray to God that this time give me enough strength to become her pillar.

" Jeet...?"

I came out of my thoughts to see the worry etched on Megha's face. Gathering all the courage , I pulled her into my arms to face the battle ahead.

" She has been calling me consistently  for the past two weeks"

Megha lifted her head from my chest to look at me but I just stared ahead avoiding her questioning eyes.

" Two weeks.... Why didn't  you tell me? We promised that we will never hide anything .... then... Why...? "

I didn't have an answer to her queries and my silence was making her more infuriated

" Look at me and answer , Jeet"

I looked into her eyes which was red with anger

" Jaan...."

" Tell me everything...I deserve to know"

I nodded . No one deserve the truth more than her.

" I got her call 2 weeks back. She was asking for forgiveness to what she did to you... to us"

Megha scoffed

" Jaan...." I pleaded

" Sorry ... continue..."

I observed Megha intensely to judge her frame of mind but she was having an impassive look on her face.

" Amma is not well so she wants us to come home"

Megha turned to me in shock.

" Amma is not well.... Why you didn't tell me this earlier" 

" I was also not sure. First I thought, she is again playing with us . When I called at home, they assured me everything  is good and even I talked to Amma but...." I trailed off as I remembered  my conversation  with my elder brother

" But..." Megha asked me nervously

I took her hand in mine and delivered the news that will change our lives forever.

" Ram Chettan ( Elder Brother) called me yesterday. Amma is not good . Doctors are advising bypass and that too immediately but she is refusing.  They are hoping that we may be able to change her mind"

" Why didn't they tell us this earlier?"

" Amma had stopped them before and Acha( Father) also supported her. They thought not to worry us unnecessarily.  But now the situation  is serious thats why Chettan called me "

" Still they should have called us before...."

" They are not unaware of the pain that place has given you. I can understand  how they didn't want to revive the same if avoidable"

" I am not the only one who went through the pain" Megha said pointedly

I released a deep sigh. I was totally exhausted thinking about the pros and cons.

" We will go" Megha announced

" What! How can you decide this so frivolously" I stated still reeling from the shock of her decision

" I did not take this decision lightly.  I can NEVER take this lightly.  But Jeet for the mistake of one we can't punish the others. Amma , Acha, Ram Chettan , Meenu Chechi( sister) all are innocent and what about Raj Chettan ? Without any mistake , he has been bearing the punishment without any complaint. "

" How can we forget everything? What she did....she could have to..rn you aw...ay fr..om m..e for...ever." I faltered on my words as I remembered those days.

"But it did not happen.... so why stress over something  which didn't happen?....Remember  this, just because we are going back does not mean that I forgot everything  but I am now ready to forgive. Jeet, we came here to heal and the past 3 years have really healed us maybe not completely  but still enough that we can face our demons. "

" So you just want to leave everything  and go back? " I asked  in bewilderment

Megha laughed and gave a friendly pat on my head

" Oh my sweet baby.... " and continued  laughing

I turned away irritated

" Don't be annoyed.... " She tried to placate me but still with that goofy smile

" Megha...." I warned in my serious tone

Hearing me call her Megha, she stopped laughing. She knows I call her Megha when I am absolutely  serious.

" Jeet, I am not trying to make light of the situation. We don't have any other option,it is essential  that we go back. I don't know what the future holds. Let's take each step one by one. To be honest, I don't want to leave this life we have made but we can't forget our responsibilities  too . I know you are worried for me . Dont be, as long as I have you beside me. I will be more than good "

I caressed her cheek admiringly as she gave me one of her beautiful smile which never fails to bring a smile on my face.

" You are my lifeline, Megha"