Chapter 38

Megha's POV

The children were making a lot of noise while playing.....

There was also constant blares from the vehicles passing by.....

Chirping of the birds were adding their own rhythm to the atmosphere....

But I was numb to all....NUMB...

Fate has struck again, this time taking away the last shred of hope...

Meenu Chechi....I am so happy.... Jeet has promised me to bring our Mehul home.... Yaayy............

Awww... till now I was your favorite but now you changed party....very bad

What bad, tell Mamma you are not only her prince but Papa's champ too.......

Amma, we want to bring our son home but we will not unless you give us permission wholeheartedly.....

Bring your son home, Megha.....

It is good to hear that your family is in support of your decision to adopt. I will immediately start the process.....

I am so sorry your application has been rejected....

They have deemed Megha unfit for adoption

REJECTED...UNFIT...REJECTED...UNFIT

Today, I realized I have been fighting a loosing battle.

For the past year, I kept my pain at bay hoping against hope that one day happiness will knock at our doors,but I was wrong....

I thought for every night there will be a day, but I was wrong....

I believed in karma. If we do right then nothing can go amiss, but I was wrong...

Destiny had the final laugh...

I scoffed internally at my naivety. Even after dealing with the most difficult hand that life could throw upon you, I didn't learn my lesson. I made the biggest sin by daring to DREAM again.

Yes, I am at fault. I should have accepted the defeat instead of challenging for a rematch.

Now, I have put away my sword welcoming the gift of pain

Suddenly, I felt a pair of warm hands engulfing mine.

"Jaan....."

I closed my eyes on hearing his melancholy voice to shut down my rousing emotions.

"Please say something..... I am getting scared, Jaan"

His tears fell on my hands, burning me from within but still this numbness refused to recede.

"Please.....please....please....."

His sobs were like daggers to my heart but my lips still refused to offer solace.

I was loving this feeling where all the pain and agony has disappeared with a snap of a finger.

Abhijeet's POV

My Jaan is broken and I am helpless. 

I am sorry for raising your hopes but I don't think you will be able to ever adopt Mehul

I closed my eyes to the shattering pain that lashed across me as those words repeatedly swirled in my mind.

We were just taking baby steps away from our pain when we are again pushed towards the same quicksand.

It has taken us months to convince Amma and when finally everything was looking good, this happens.

Papa's Champ,  I am waiting for you to grow up so that I can teach you to ball..... I am already excited ,champ

I fell down on my knees and sobbed my heart out as those simple beautiful memories turned torturous.

Why? Why did you let hope fester in our hearts if at the end you were going to mercilessly snatch it?

I glanced at Jaan who have not uttered a single word from the moment she heard the news. She was just sitting there devoid of any emotions.

"Jaan..."

Not getting any response, I repeatedly  began calling out to her but she was oblivious to my calls.

I just wept keeping my head on her lap.... for Jaan, for me, for Mehul and for our lost family dream....

It has been pouring cats and dogs from the time we have returned from the orphanage but the storm outside is nothing compared to what I am feeling inside.

"I need to know" 

I turned to see Jaan beside me staring at the storming night. Her impassive face and blank voice was proof to the mountain of hurt she was going through.

A lone tear escaped as I realized , this time, no words will be enough to calm the torrent of emotions bubbling  inside.

"They deemed me unfit. I need to know, why? I deserved to know"

The determination in her voice left no room for further questions.

As she stared at the raging wind with those empty eyes, I could only pray for this internal tempest to not leave behind an everlasting scar.

Note

Past moments are represented in italics.