Chapter 39

Megha's POV

"Acha...Amma....Chetta....Chettathi...."

All rushed out hearing my scream.

"What happened? "

"Why are you shouting,Megha?"

"Abhi, you both went to the orphanage, right? What did they say?"

"Why are you both silent?"

We were bombarded with questions from all sides while I just glanced at Jeet. For the first time, I saw him completely lost and it raised the rage coursing through me. I clenched my fingers tightly to control my anger from bursting out.

"We wanted to talk about that matter only "

My voice rang with determination, silencing all.

I began to narrate what I learned in the past hour,

"Savita Aunty said the trustees got a call from a person who had claimed that I am irresponsible and careless. It was also insinuated that I can't be trusted around kids and.... " I trailed off .

Then gathering immense strength,

"....and my neglig...negligence led to my...my ....miscarr....iage" I finished but couldn't stop the stuttering as I spoke out the most painful words of my life.

All looked at me flabbergasted and lost for words.

Time stood still until,

"How dare they? Abhi, we should sue them for character assasination"

Raj Chettan surprised us with his reaction while Jeet just looked on, sadly, not able to respond . Understanding his dilemma, I took the wheel in my hands.

"You are right Chetta but not on them but to the person responsible for this whole mess"

"Do you know who it is?" Meenu Chechi asked

"Of course but before that I need few answers. Meenu Chechi , do you think I ever was careless with Karthi?"

"Of course not. Why are you even asking this?" she replied as if it was the most ridiculous question.

" Thank you... but the question is absolutely necessary. "

I then moved towards Anita Chettathi. Our eyes clashed and holding the gaze, I repeated the question.

She stared at me for a second before replying,

"No"

I released the breathe I was holding onto which paved the way for the pent up fury within me.

"You. are . Lying...If not why did you call the orphanage?" I asked, gritting my teeth

My question was nothing short of a bombshell,reverberating around the room. I saw the shocked look on Chettathi's face which was accompanied by both hurt and regret.

" It can't be" I heard Amma murmering

"Yes, it is, Amma. Savita Aunty confirmed that the trustees had got a call from one Mrs.Anita Abhiraj Krishan"

With fire blazing in my eyes and voice filled with accusation, I tore into her,

" How could you do this to me? What did I do to deserve this? "

Chettathi looked at me for a moment and then at all the others surrounding us. Each one of them depicting different emotions ranging from disbelief to anger.

I was waiting for her answer but she remained mum.

Seeing her gaze down and her silence on the matter, my temper further rose.