Chapter 44

Abhijeet's POV

The night was calm but my mind was not. My heart is gripped in the same struggle like it was 3 years ago. At least then the facts were in front of us or I thought it was.

My Angel is soooo beautiful....

She comes everyday to meet me....

She tells me stories about you both...

She brings me chocolates and toys....

She too loves me....

Mehul's words were creating a havoc in me. Life as I knew it was becoming a maze.

I was brought out of my reverie as I felt MY ANGEL'S hands wrapped around me.

"What are you so worried about, Jeet?"

I turned to pull her more tightly to myself. Her fragrance and her touch was soothing my erratic soul and thoughts.

"I don't know ,Jaan. I feel like we are missing something "

She looked at me quizzically.

"I am talking about Mehul's Angel"

" What about her? Mehul is ours. Now nobody can take him from us" she stated possessively

I smiled seeing her getting jealous of the unknown Angel.

I will be lying if I say I didn't enjoy her envy when Mehul was admiring his Angel in front of us.

" If she wanted to take him from us, she would not have narrated our tales to him. She not only told him about us but made him secure in our love also"

"But who is she? Why will anyone do that"

Those same questions were roaming around my mind too. I have my doubts but not sure how to voice it out. Megha may not be receptive to the truth as I have come to accept. If whatever I am thinking is anywhere near the truth, then Megha will be the one who will be most shattered.

"I think it is one of the ladies that I met during my visits there. They  all knew about Mehul and us "

Her words brought me out of my thoughts

"No...Jaan. I don't think so. This feels personal. I believe it is someone close to us" I said gingerly,  testing the waters

"Close, who?"

I looked at her frowning face and  words just refused to leave my mouth. I needed to confirm my suspicion before proceeding further.

" Jaan, I am not sure but have my doubts but before I could tell I need to be certain. Once I ensure, I will tell you everything " I replied instead

" It is not about just today, is it?" She asked cautiously

" You are right. I have been in a dilemma from the time Saahil put forth the matter."

"Saahil?"

"Hmmm"

"What did he say?"

I gazed at her in silence which was an answer itself

" OK....oK ....don't tell. I will be waiting  till you are comfortable enough to share"

Her understanding gave me the necessary courage and with a relieved smile,  I embraced her in my arms.

" Our baby will be soon with us, right Jeet?"  she further queried. The slight tremble in her voice giving away her insecurities

"Why are you leaving me here now? I will come with you"  His pouting face made him more cuter

" Acha promise you that he and Amma will come to take you as soon as possible. But for now my good baby listen to me and stay here for a few days more"

" O..K..."

His disheartened face pinched my heart but hardening myself to the practicalities I tried to explain as simple as possible without breaking his innocent heart.

" Baby, if I take you today, all your friends here will be sad. Once you tell them proper goodbye we will take you and by that time, we will set our home ready for you too . What say? Now give me a proper smile"

With a smile of his own,he replied in an understanding much greater than for a kid of his age

" I know you will keep your promise. My Angel told so. Till you come I will be a good boy"

"  Once Amma's operation is over and she is out of danger, we will surely bring him....Nobody will stop me then from bringing my son home...No one..."

Determination was etched on my face as I assured Megha

We stood there a long time, finding comfort in each others arms before we called it a night.

Megha slept off as soon as her head hit the pillow but sleep was miles away from my eyes. After a while, I gave up and went down into the garden.

As I reached the swing, I was shocked to find a familiar figure. For a moment, I thought to turn back but then finding it as destiny's sign, I stepped out of the shadows startling the person.

"Got scared but why? Did you do anything wrong or are you hiding something?"

I moved forward into the path from there is no return. This time I listened to the voices of my heart to lead my way. The destination may either heal us or break us forever.