Chapter 9

Abhijeet's POV

" Can you just sit? My neck is really paining looking at you"

Megha shot me a disbelieving look before continuing pacing from one end to other

We both were on the terrace. Our parents have sent us here so that we can talk and decide.

If you ask me, there is no question. I never thought about having this kind of connection with anyone. Don't know how or why, from the moment she held my collar for her sister, I couldn't get her out of my mind but marriage is about the two people involved and Megha's consent is more important than anything else for me.

Finally, not able to bear her silence and angry pacing, I got up from where I was sitting and stood before her . Before she could lash out , I held her hands and made her sit before me.

Taking a deep breathe, I decided to bare my heart out.

" I know , Megha ....this may have come as a big surprise for you...."

She raised her eyebrows and scoffed

" Ok ... fine. It may have come as a SHOCK to you but I am not at all joking"

Sensing the seriousness in my tone, she stared at me but skeptically.

I understood her hesitation. The sudden proposal have thrown her off.

" Trust me when I say that I am as serious as the day. Have you ever felt that instant connection to anybody, I have... for the first time , with you.... The way you fought for your sister just makes me fall for you"

" This is crazy...You really want to make me believe that you fell in love at first sight.... That's just ridiculous "

" Why ? Don't you believe in love at first sight?"

She rolled her eyes in derision but I couldn't miss the tension on her face. Moreover my heart pinched seeing the torment in her eyes

" Are you in love with someone else?" I suddenly asked in fear

She jerked her head to look at me. Surprise ... shock... I couldn't understand what I was seeing on her face but my heart was beating fast like I am in a 100m race.

" Yes ...I am..."

For a second, it felt like my heart stopped beating. I didn't know how much I wanted her response to be in negative until her answer. It felt like I lost something precious before even having it.

I was so lost in my own pity party that I nearly missed what she was saying.

" I love my parents too much to leave them so early. Anyways Meenu Chechi is getting married and if I too get married so soon, they will be all alone" she continued

" What..." I screamed , the moment I realized what she said

" You mean you love your PARENTS and not any other guy..." I asked slowly to clarify

"Does it matter whether I love a guy or not. The main issue is I don't want to get married so early and leave my parents alone"

This girl is surprising me at every turn. I am now in serious trouble of falling more and more for her.

" So who asked you to? " I asked

I could see the surprise on her face on my reply.

She is an open book. Her every thought and emotions could be read easily on her face.

Giving her my best smile, I continued,

" Megha, I am not asking you to marry me tomorrow or any time soon but I want YOU to give US a chance. As I said before I never felt like this with anybody and I don't want to lose it. Maybe you think that this is cheezy but that is how I feel. My gut tells me that you will be the best thing that will ever happen to me and till date it never has been wrong... "

I could see she was fighting an inner battle

" Just think of this as a normal proposal which has come for you. Go through all the pros and cons and let me know. Most importantly whatever may be your decision, it won't EVER effect your sister and my brother's marriage."

The sudden change in her face showed how much she was scared for them. I could understand her trepidation in the matter too.

"I am scared..." If I have not been keenly listening, I would have missed what she said

Sensing that I am waiting for her to elaborate, she continued

" I love my sister a lot and it would devastate me if she suffers due to me"

"Care to explain?" I asked eventhough I had an idea where this was going.

More than we care to accept, marriages of two siblings to one home have shown to affect each other in one way or other in the long run.

" We are sisters here, but if this marriage takes place, we will be sisters-in-law too. I don't want any new relations to change the dynamics of our relation and what if in the future , God forbid, if they have any marital woes or we have, won't we take sides of our respective sibling? If that happens , won't it affect the respective marriages?"

Her concerns were genuine which just proved how pure her heart is.

" I agree but the girl who fought so hard for her sister , will she let her sister's marriage falter and if not then imagine how strong she will fight for her own"

I cannot guarantee  the future but I gave her the next best thing possible

" How do you have such trust in me? " she queried. the amazement reflecting in her voice

" That is one thing that I know is not misplaced, my trust in you" I said while looking deeply into her eyes .

I don't know for how long we stared into each other's eyes trying to read the emotions lurking behind them.

Finally, a mischievous smile broke out on her face.

" Maybe.... I can give us a  chance" 

The attitude in which she responded and the devilish grin told me that I am in for a hell of an adventure and my lips automatically curved into a brilliant smile .

" Thank you ,your highness for bestowing this peasant with such an honor" I too retorted with folded hands resulting in us laughing our heads off.