Chapter 66

Author's POV

"Karthi...bad manners....He is your brother...Why can't  you  share your toy with him?" Ammu began admonishing her little brother authoritatively for refusing to share his toy with her other brother, Mehul.

Karthi looked down with a pout on getting rebuked  by his only sister and in between he was throwing angry glares at the newest member who according to him was the reason of his misfortune.

"Karthi.... say sorry...." Ammu further insisted

"No...I will not....because of him you are scolding me...I don't like him... I dont want to play with him " Karthi retorted angrily to Ammu's words

"Karthi...."

Ammu was surprised to see her sweet brother behaving so rudely.

" You never scolded me before and now you are scolding me... for him ... " Karthi started venting out his insecurities .

With lips trembling,he blinked off the unshed tears and continued,

" Later on ,you will start loving him more than me. I can share my toys but not YOU.."  Karthi finally broke out in sobs as he voiced out his fears.

Mehul's face fell on hearing Karthi's words. His eyes too welled up but putting on a brave face he replied,

"It's OK,Karthi. It's YOUR toy and YOUR sister.....You both play....I will go...I will never come between you two "

He then turned to leave with a heavy heart and unknowingly a tear fell from his eye.

Seeing that, Karthi felt an uneasiness within him but still stood mum due to his fear while Ammu's heart went out to both her brothers.

She loved them both . Karthi, from the time he was placed in her arms and Mehul, from the time she learned about him from her Amma.

She didn't know what to do and whom to pacify  when suddenly something clicked in her mind.

Placing a comforting hand around Karthi, she wiped away his tears and kissed his cheek.

" Karthi, I will always love you. How could you think that I will love Mehul more than you. I can never love him more than you. Likewise I can never love him less than you...." Ammu explained lovingly.

"Our Achas also has two brothers and they love them equally. Have you ever seen them love one more even when Abhi Kochachan was not here?" Ammu further questioned him.

This made Karthi go into deep thought.

Yes, his Ammu Chechi was right . He never saw his Valiayachan or Acha differentiating between their brothers .

Maybe Ammu Chechi will also not do it. But still doubt lingered.

Looking back at her , he thought to confirm it.  Better safe than sorry, right?

" So you will never love him more than me?" Karthi put forth his uncertainty nervously

In return,Ammu gave him a wide smile and while pinching lovingly on his cheeks she replied,

"Never ever, my naughty brother and FYI he is not just my brother. He is OUR brother. We should always love and take care of each other....Got it"

The confirmation from Ammu was all Karthi needed. The fear and insecurities dissipated as happiness filled his heart.

He was also not feeling good earlier, behaving badly with Mehul but what to do.  Even though his parents have explained to him about Mehul, he didn't expect him to get so much of his Ammu Chechi's attention . Used to get her undivided time, he was unprepared for her care towards Mehul which made him jealous. For a moment he forgot his excitement to meet him and hurt him in the process.

Now when his heart was pacified, Karthi turned towards Mehul.

But what he saw shocked him. Mehul was walking away with head bowed down. His whole posture was screaming his sadness.

He looked towards Ammu Chechi who was glaring at him. Giving back a nervous smile,  he called out to Mehul.

"You don't have to go, Mehul....I am sorry..."
Karthi apologized genuinely

Mehul turned in his tracks on hearing Karthi's voice but still didn't walk back instead said with sad eyes.

"You don't have to be guilty, Karthi...I only wanted to play with my brother and sister. Till now I never had one. Yes, I have lots of friends but never a brother and sister. But its ok ....I am not sad"

The lie was as evident as the day which made Karthi ashamed of himself . He looked at Ammu guiltily.

Understanding him, Ammu gave a slight smile of encouragement which was all it took for him to dash towards Mehul.

Fraction of a second was all it took for Karthi to come to the realization which made him happier than ever....Mehul is our brother.....

His Ammu Chechi is always right. That's why she is his super woman who can never be wrong and always guides him in the right path.

"Who told you, you don't have a brother or sister? Then who are we? I know I acted like a brat but I am not one. I got jealous when Ammu Chechi paid you more attention but now i am not.....once again....sorrrrryyyyy"

Karthi went on knees while apologising this time . His hands on his ears and puppy face, a dangerous combo that no one has ever escaped from and Mehul was not an exception.

His cute apology won Mehul over within no time and his face blossomed into a beautiful smile.

"You will be my brother....?"  He questioned unbelievably , still not coming to turn with the sudden change of events.

" Oh ho...what is there to become ...We ARE brothers" Saying this Karthi hugged Mehul leaving behind all his insecurities and Mehul also hugged back with happiness on getting a beautiful relationship called siblings.

Ammu seeing them hugging rushed towards her brothers and engulfed them both as much as she can with her small hands......

Through out this time, these interactions between the youngest generations were witnessed by their fathers whose own eyes were glistening with happy tears. 

"Ammu is just like you Chetta. Even at this small age , look how she explained everything beautifully to Karthi....Like you she will be the strength of these brothers" Abhi said while admiring the growing bonds

" It takes a pure heart to accept one's mistake and apologize and that's how our Karthi is just like his father. Impulsive but innocent to the core " Raj commented

"But it takes a golden heart to be so selfless. Even though he was alone till now, still Mehul is so open and full of love ....That is one quality I can with quarantee say he has in common with his Acha" Ram also put in his two cents.

Sharing a proud smile , they then moved forward to join their children.....The children who are the future, who have shown more maturity than all the adults combined.