Chapter 59

Abhijeet's POV

My heart was beating out of my chest as I stepped into our home. Even though, I am not in doubt over my decision but still there is a corner of my heart fearing Amma's reaction.

Standing at the threshold, I looked at my family. All were seated together but you could clearly see the line of separation.

Megha is sitting with my brothers and their wives, Acha was involved with the kids while Amma was conversing with Appachi.

Appachi's reaction was as expected. According to her, the root cause of the problem is Jaan. Every topic of hers ends with, Megha broke up the family.

It is not far fetched when we say women are their own enemies. I have the best two examples in my own home.

Clearing my head to all these gloomy thoughts, I focused my mind to the issue at hand. Mentally preparing myself for the upcoming tsunami, I stepped forward.

"Abhi....Where did you go?....You have been gone from the morning...."

Appachi's question made every head turn towards me.

I gulped down the lump in my throat as my eyes darted towards Jaan for support.

"Abhi.....Appachi is asking something....Have you forgotten your manners?"

Amma's stern voice still have the ability to make me flinch. But today more than love and respect, determination was my driving force.

"No, Amma . I have not forgotten my manners but I thought the people in this house is not answerable to other's for their actions"

My last sentence came out mockingly which did not go well with Amma.

Her displeasure was evident from her face but somehow she did not persue the matter.

We were instead having a silent duel of our own , when I again heard the enthusiastic voice of Appachi.

"Abhi, come here and look at these...."

Her eagerness did not match with the sudden nervousness etched on Amma's face. She was not meeting my eye which raised my curiosity.

I moved towards the table on which they were huddled together but the scene which unfolded left me dumbstruck.

Not wanting to jump to any conclusions, I raised my eyebrow in question towards Appachi.

" These are the ones we shortlisted, you just tell us the ones you like and we will proceed from there"

I looked at her shell shocked. More than anything, I was amazed at her audacity.

"Have you gone mad,Amma?"

Ram Chettan was shaking with fury while the rest had been successfully rendered speechless.

By this time, everyone came near us listening to Appachi.

Still reeling from the shock, I walked towards Amma.

" What is all this,Amma?" I asked in a dangerously quiet voice.

The fury behind it was not hidden and recognising the same, she looked at me defiantly and replied,

"I am giving you an opportunity to start afresh. You need a complete family not this broken one"

Amma's poisonous words struck its mark. It pinched my heart heavily as I heard Megha's pained gasp and that cemented my belief for my next step.

"Meenu Chechi, can you please take the kids inside?"