Chapter 48 - Snowball fight

Morgan

I wake up with some more dreams slipping away from me. I dreamt it was so much better. He held me and kissed my head. He hugged me tight and said he never wanted to let me go.

A fucking dream. Because of course my dreams want to make this harder than it is.

JD is in the shower when I wake up. I lie for a moment, trying to discern what was a dream and what wasn't. It's all blurring together, but the tenderness between my legs tells me the sex was real.

When he comes out of the shower, he's in a towel. I quickly lower my eyes.

"You're up," he says and smiles.

"Good morning," I mumble. I grab some clothes from my bag and hurry past him.

"I'd ask if you slept well," he grins, "but I think I have an idea."

"Right." I hesitate. "I should shower." Like the coward I apparently am, I flee into the bathroom and spend a long time under the warm water. I dry my hair, get dressed, and do my makeup before I open the door to the bedroom. JD is sitting on the bed, waiting for me.

"The brochure says there's breakfast," he says and holds up a small pamphlet. "I hope it's included in the price, because I'm starving."

"Let's go find out." I try to put on the same unaffected demeanor. Maybe if I pretend it never happened, it will go away.

"Let's go."

We head down to the dining room and find a small buffet set out. I grab some yogurt and fruit salad. JD fills a plate with scrambled eggs and bacon.

"Good morning." Hattie comes in with a coffeepot. "I hope you slept well."

"Yes, thank you," I say, without looking at JD.

"Coffee?"

I hold out my cup, and she fills it. She moves on to JD and I dig into my fruit salad.

"And you, dear?" Hattie asks JD.

"One of the best nights I've had in a while." He smiles so naturally, I almost believe him.

"That's great."

"Do you happen to know when our friends will be picking us up?" I ask.

"Oh, they made a reservation for lunch."

Relieved that they're not going to keep us stranded here for any longer, I thank her and she leaves.

"Should we talk about it?" JD asks carefully.

"About what?" Nothing happened. Absolutely nothing happened.

"About you waking me up for sex."

My cheeks burn. "I had a dream. You can't hold me responsible for that." I stab a piece of pear and shove it in my mouth.

"But you weren't dreaming when we did it."

I chew slowly and swallow. It doesn't matter. Don't let him see that it matters.

I shrug. "We had sex. It happened and now it's over. As soon as they pick us up, you never have to see me again."

It's not like I can forgive him for blaming me, even if he can stop being an ass about it.

"Right."

We eat the rest of the meal in silence.

After breakfast, we explore the sitting room and the library. I sigh at the popular thrillers and romance novels that you can find anywhere. JD finds some old book about Gretsky and settles down to read it. I give up on the books and find a chair where I can stare out the window.