Chapter 38 - Concussion

Morgan

"He says sure," Kat says and drops my phone as if it burned her. I sigh in relief. My head still hurts and thinking is difficult, but I am out of the hospital and considered lucky that nothing worse happened.

"Thank you," I say and put my phone away. It took some coaxing to get her to message JD from my phone. I wanted her to read his messages, but she was too worried they might be inappropriate.

I am under strict orders not to even look at a screen for a week due to the concussion, and I'm doing my very best to comply.

Kat has been helping me email teachers all morning while I switch between packing up some things and resting on the bed. The doctor told me to take at least a week off from any "thinking" and once mom heard that, she insisted I stay with them.

So now, Kat is letting the teachers know about the concussion and the not-looking-at-screens thing. I hate leaving my studies for a week, but even I can tell my brain is scrambled.

They think it happened when he slammed my head into the wall.

Surprisingly, the least damaging thing he did was throw me through the window. The window shattered easily, and I landed softly in the snow. Plus, I was wearing a thick jacket. Aside from some minor cuts and bruises, that was nothing.

The lights are turned low in the room, and Kat is making sure to angle the laptop away from me when she uses it. I lay back down on the bed where Kat has placed every pillow in the room.

It was hard telling Kat what happened. Of course, I had to tell her. But I hate that it happened. I've told her to ask the teachers not to share any information about my absence, because I'm the strong one. I've always been the wild one. The one who can take care of herself.

And now I'm not.

"I think that's the last of them," Kat says and closes the laptop. She's speaking softly, as if her voice might cause me pain. Which it actually might. She's sweet. I barely told her what the doctor's orders were before she turned down the lights and closed the shades.

"And JD?" I ask, almost certain we texted him.

"He's coming." She looks slightly worried.

"I'll be fine," I say. "The doctors say it's normal to be a bit confused. As long as it doesn't get worse, it's ok."

She nods. "I still can't believe what happened to you."

Neither can I. I was supposed to be able to fight back. I'm not weak.

"Please don't tell anyone."

"I already promised that I'll never mention it outside of this room."

I nod. My brain feels numb. Thinking is hard, and it's like there's a barrier between my thoughts and my speech. Like my brain is drenched in molasses and everything takes so much more effort.

"He's going to think I'm weak." I lean back. "He's going to be mad I didn't fight back more."

"No, he won't." She squeezes my hands and I want to say more, but it's too hard. I hate that I didn't fight back more.

There's a knock at the door. I slowly sit up.

"I'll leave you two alone." Kat gets up.

"Don't tell anyone," I say, but have a feeling I've already asked her that.

"I won't." She smiles prettily in the dim light and I pull at the turtle-neck I'm wearing so I won't have to see the bruises on my throat. I've covered every bruise, every cut, except the ones on my hands. Because I hate to see the evidence of my weakness.