Chapter 36 - Should have...

(💀 just a heads up: this chapter contains violence and attempted SA 💀)

Morgan

"And he hasn't made any plans since?" Anthon asks over the music as I sip my beer.

I watched Rivers win a game in a moment of complete and utter surprise. I don't think anyone on the ice knew what was happening. The River Otters fully expected to lose and, like most of the time, only showed up to have some fun.

Halfway through the second period, it was obvious something was going on with three of the guys on the opposing team.

Rumor spread quickly in the stands and by the start of the third period, everyone knew that one of the guys had been sleeping with two of his teammates' girlfriends and the two other guys had accused each other at first and everyone was upset with everyone.

Whether that was the real story or not, the other team couldn't hold it together. Rivers saw an opportunity and took it.

To the River Otters, losing a game is no excuse not to party. But winning a game means the party is practically mandatory.

Half the guys are drunk already and I'm starting to understand why the UNI Lions are so much better. To Rivers, hockey is fun. It's a nice way to pass the time and keep in shape. But very few of them put hockey over partying.

The plan was to stay for the game and then head back to UNI, but after a win, how could I miss out on the celebration?

"He did," I say. "He wants to meet up tomorrow." That text had been a surprise, one that gave me butterflies.

"Do you like him?"

I sip my beer and look around the party as I try to compose an answer.

"The sex is good."

Anthon raises an eyebrow.

"I like spending time with him." I grimace as if it's some guilty pleasure I'd rather nobody knew about. Because, in a way, it is.

I check my phone. The texts arranging to meet up tomorrow are the only ones I've gotten from him all week.

"He had an important game tonight. He's probably been focused on that." It's as if Anthon can read my mind.

"I know." I put the phone away. "I'm not thinking about him tonight. Tonight, we're celebrating and having fun." I drain the beer and go get another one.

One drink turns into two, then three, and before I know it, I'm hugging people I only barely knew in high school.

"Hey, Morgan," Corey says as I get out of the bathroom.

"Corey." I try to not roll my eyes. He's been hanging around all night, watching me, and it's making me slightly uncomfortable.

"Want to dance?" He holds out his large hand to me and I frown.

"I have to find Anthon," I say. I spin around to get away from him and immediately spot Anthon and Dennis making out in a corner.

"Looks like he's busy," Corey smiles and there's something about it I don't like. But I'm drunk and the music is good.

"One dance." I hold up a finger. "Just one song."

He leads me to the dance floor and I remember how much fun it is to just let go. Corey does his best to dance close to me, but I spin away and avoid him.

As soon as the song changes, I push at his chest.

"See you later." Before he can say anything, I leave him there and get myself another drink. The captain of the Otters mixes a drink next to me.