Chapter 2 - What name?

Joshua Dennis 'JD' Hartford

The excitement builds as ever before a game. I put on my gloves and take a deep breath. It's going to be another good one. We've got this.

I scan the room and take in each of the players. I note their expressions, the way they're carrying themselves, as I count them off in my head. One by one, I make sure they're ready for tonight.

My eyes narrow as I land on Brick. He's never been one to show emotion, but lately, every once in a while, I catch a small smile on his lips.

"No chance they score on us tonight," Liam says, and grins. "Right, Brick?"

Brick grunts in a half response.

"Why not?" Ethan asks and pulls on his jersey.

"Because I just found out that Kat is in the audience," Liam says.

"Oh." Ethan's face lights up. "Yeah, it would be bad form to get scored on while your girlfriend is watching."

They rib playfully with Brick, who keeps his face neutral, but there's no hiding the glint in his eyes. I've been playing hockey since I was old enough to skate. And I can count on one hand the number of times Kat came to a game without our parents making her.

"I still don't know how you get her to show up," I say to Brick. "Kat has never shown any interest in hockey."

Brick fails to hide the small smile. "I guess she likes me."

I scowl at him, and he straightens and loses the smile.

"And it helps that Morgan likes attending games." He rolls his shoulders and moves around to check his equipment.

"Is she here as well?" I ask. Not that I care. If anything, I just need to know so I can stay away from her.

"Yeah. Is that a problem?" Brick asks.

"Why would it be a problem?"

He shrugs.

I study him. "You're really ok with them hanging out?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" He looks genuinely confused.

"She's a bad influence. Kat needs to get another roommate."

"You only say that because she punched you."

"She's an angry, violent woman who needs to be put in her place."

The whole locker room stills when Brick laughs. The unusual sound is deep and rumbly, and I'm not sure I've ever heard him laugh like that before. It grates on my nerves.

"Right, you don't care if she corrupts Kat."

"Nobody is corrupting Kat." He sounds almost tired. "Kat is perfectly capable of knowing her own mind."

I grit my teeth.

"Hey," Jonathan nudges Liam, "did some chick really punch JD in the face?"

"Yeah, remember his broken nose?"

"That was a girl?"

"How did you not know that?" Ethan asks.

Jonathan shrugs.

"Yeah, it was," I say and turn to them. "And she's a better brawler than half the guys on the team. Now I suggest you get your head in the game or I might have to bring her in to replace you."

"Sounds like she's quite the woman," Jonathan says.

I'd disagree, but I really can't. She may be annoying as hell, but nobody would ever call her weak or timid.