Chapter 26 - The morning after

Morgan

I wake up slowly. My body is relaxed and warm. It takes me a while to remember what happened last night. I almost shudder as I relive the intense interaction. There's an arm over my waist. I open my eyes and stare at the ceiling.

Carefully, I turn my head. JD is on his stomach, his arm tossed out over me. I push down the urge to touch him, to run my hand over his muscular shoulder. I glance at the time. My class starts soon.

Maybe I can get away without waking him?

It got so strange after we had sex. Almost as if he regretted it immediately. But he thanked me. Was he ashamed? Maybe in his mind, sleeping with me is somehow beneath him?

I lift the blanket and try to slide away from under his arm. His muscles tense and he stirs. Holding my breath, I wait until he settles.

"Mmm," JD says, and tries to pull me closer. His arm is a vise around me.

"I have to get to class," I say softly.

He blinks his eyes open and I can tell the exact moment he realizes where he is and with who. His soft, dreamy expression disappears, and he pulls his arm away.

"Good morning." I offer him a small smile.

"Right, morning." His eyes zip around the room, anywhere but me. "Fuck," he finally says and grabs his head with both hands.

"That's a nice reaction," I say coldly and get up. I start grabbing clothes from the dresser.

"Listen."

I know more than I want to from the tone of his voice.

"JD..."

"It never should have happened." He gets up and still avoids looking at me as he searches for his clothes. "It was a stupid mistake and I'm sorry it happened."

I suck in a breath to stop the hollowness in my chest. It was not that bad for him. I know he enjoyed it in the moment. Which means he didn't want to do it with me.

"Don't worry about it," I say. "We can just pretend it never happened." It's not like anything was going to come from it, anyway.

"Yeah, it was late and there was a bed."

Is that really all it takes for him? I knew he was a fuckboy, but I imagined he'd have some form of self control.

"Honestly, it wasn't a big deal." I grab a towel and my shower caddy. He's stuffing things in a bag as if there's a race to get out of here as quickly as possible.

"Right." He's all dressed and ready to go. "It didn't mean anything."

I nod. Sleep with a fuckboy and this is what you get.

He opens the door. "Hey, at least now, you won your bet."

"What?" I blink at him as his eyes drift over the door.

"The bet with Shana."

"I never made a bet."

He shrugs. "Oh, could you not mention this to Kat? It might make things weird."

I hesitate, but he doesn't wait for an answer. It's as if being around me is too unpleasant and he has to get away.

When the door closes, I stare at it for a while. I've had one-night stands before. And I don't think there was any point where I thought this would be anything more. But usually, the guys, if they stay the night, try to get some morning sex. They might kiss me or offer to have breakfast together. At the very least, they look at me.