Chapter 42 - Getting back out there

Morgan

"Come on," Kat says and pulls at my arm. "You can't stay here forever. And you said you're feeling fine."

I sigh and sit up. The plan was to stay in bed tonight and maybe watch a movie. But it seems Kat has a different idea.

"I don't know." I push down the fear that creeps up inside me and makes me nauseous.

"Morgan," Kat sits opposite me on her bed. "If I thought staying here was best for you, I wouldn't even ask. But I really think you need to go."

To a party. That's the part that makes me nervous. It hits me how the roles have changed and now it's Kat convincing me to go out on a Friday night.

"It's just a small party. Lydia is coming and we won't let you out of our sight all night. And Brick will be within shouting-distance the whole night."

I take a deep breath. I'm the strong one. But after what happened, part of me wants to curl up under a blanket and forget about the world.

"It's like when you fall off a horse," Kat says. "You have to get back up before it becomes too hard. Because it's circumstances, right? What happened won't ever happen again. Not like that. And you like parties. You love going out. So you can't stop doing that just because of one asshole."

There's some sense to what she's saying. I can easily imagine myself withdrawing more and more if I don't do something about it now.

"You won't leave me alone?" I ask and hate the tremble in my voice.

She sits next to me and puts an arm around my shoulders. "I promise. Me or Lydia will be with you the whole time. We won't even let you pee alone. I can bring out the handcuffs if you want."

I can't help it. I laugh. The laughter releases something inside me and makes it easier to breathe.

"I don't think that's necessary, but thank you."

"Now, do you want to change before we go?"

I look down at my comfy sweater and black jeans.

"Yeah."

I find a black top with long sleeves and a turtle-neck. It's see through, but hides the fading bruises on my neck and arms.

"How do I look?"

Kat looks me up and down and squints. "You look beautiful."

I force my hand to stop shaking so I can do my makeup while we wait for Brick. I can do this. I'm the strong one. Nothing is going to happen tonight. We won't even stay out that late.

"Does..." I take a breath. "Does Brick know what happened?"

Kat looks sad. "No. You told me not to say anything. But I also couldn't lie to him. So he knows something happened, and he knows I can't tell him."

I nod. Maybe I shouldn't have asked her to keep my secret from him.

When Brick arrives, I've managed to make myself look somewhat presentable.

"Your ride is here," he says as I let him in.

"Just a second," Kat says and wipes at her lips. "I'm trying a new color."

"How are you?" Brick asks me.

"I'm good." I grab my jacket and put it on. As I do, his eyes linger on my neck. My stomach plummets. "Fuck, it's still visible, isn't it?"

He stiffens and looks between me and Kat. "What the hell happened?"

I hurry to the mirror and adjust the neckline. "It's nothing. Forget about it"