Chapter 5 - A new friend?

Morgan

Dinner with my grandmother was more pleasant than I had feared. She asked me questions and seemed genuinely interested in my life.

All night, I kept wondering what our lives would have been like if she had stood up to her husband. If she had been strong enough not to lose her daughter.

And then it hit me that perhaps she was the one who was so disappointed in my mom that she cut us out of their lives.

I'm not ready to ask her yet, but the way she's really trying to get to know me tells me that whatever happened, she regrets it now.

And that's good enough for me. At least for now.

Saturday afternoon, I'm messing about on my phone while Kat is studying. In a few hours, we'll head over to the Den to watch the hockey game. It's going well for the UNI Lions this year and they have a chance at the frozen four, and I have to admit it's a bit more fun to cheer for them than it is to cheer for the River Otters.

All my life, the River's players were my team. I'd go to games with my dad sometimes, but it was never the same as here at UNI.

At Rivers, the hockey games are a fun thing to do. But even though Anthon, one of my best friends, is on the team, I'm feeling my loyalties shift. I sigh. Soon I'll be a UNI girl through and through.

Anthon won't mind. Well, he'll mind a little, but he won't blame me. He knows UNI's team is better and if he was serious about hockey, he'd come here as well. But of course, his boyfriend was already at Rivers, so maybe not.

Bored, I look through the phone and spot the dating app. I click it and start scrolling.

"I don't suppose you'd want to sign up for a dating app?" I ask Kat.

"What? No? I'm very happy with Brick."

I dismiss one profile after the next.

"Why do you ask?"

"My friend's sister made an app, and she's testing it out with people from UNI."

"Oh, well, I don't think I can help with that."

I glance up at her. "So things are going well with you and Brick?"

The smile on her face tells me everything I need to know. "Yes. Why do you ask?"

With a shrug, I get rid of a guy whose only quality seems to be that he goes to the gym. "I was just thinking." Somehow, JD's worries have gotten stuck in my head. I hate that he's taking up so much of my brain power, but at the same time, I'd hate it more if there was some issue and I didn't at least ask Kat about it. "Has he ever done anything that made you uncomfortable?"

"What do you mean?" She squints at me.

"Well, you're new to all of this. I mean dating and relationships and sex. So I just thought I'd check in and make sure."

Kat turns red and shakes her head. "He would never do anything like that. And we have safewords."

I look up from the app. "What exactly do you do to each other?"

Kat is still red as she smiles down at her laptop.

"I'm not going to answer that."

I clear my throat. "So what's the safeword?"

"We use colors. Red, yellow and green."

"Like traffic lights?" I furrow my brow at her.

"Yeah, green means all is good, yellow means I'm getting close to my limits and red means stop right now."