Chapter 45 - Stranded

Morgan

"It's going to be fun," Kat says for the eleventh time.

I fold a sweater and put it in the bag. "And you're sure Brick wants me to come with?"

"Yeah, he wants all of his friends there."

Kat doesn't sound fully convinced, but Brick did invite me to the trip to celebrate his birthday, and somehow made it seem like it would be rude if I didn't come. Even though he's paying for it all.

"Can you promise me again that I don't have to spend any time with JD?" I roll up my charger and stuff it in a side pocket.

Kat raises her hand as if she's being sworn into court. "I promise you won't have to be in the same car as JD or sit next to him at the concert."

"Ok." I nod. It's fine. I can do this. It's a car ride there, a night at a hotel with Lydia and Kat and the boys, and then we come back here.

There's a knock at the door and Kat answers as I pack my toiletries and make sure I have everything.

"Are you ready?" Ethan asks from behind Brick. "This is going to be a road trip of epic proportions."

"Hey, Brick, happy birthday," I say and smile at him.

"Thanks." He seems bashful, but then again, he's never been one to want to be the center of attention.

"I somehow didn't have you pegged as a country boy," I say while we put on our jackets. "But I guess that makes complete sense."

"I'm from the south," Brick shrugs. "I'm just glad I was able to get all of us tickets."

"Yeah, somehow that all worked out," Ethan grins. "Now, let's get on the road."

He's like an eager puppy and I laugh a little.

"Thanks for inviting me," I say as Brick takes mine and Kat's bags. "I'm honored you wanted me to come with you." It would have been so easy for him to leave me out. To be honest, I wasn't expecting an invitation.

"Yeah, of course. You're Kat's best friend. And you've helped us out, so it only seems fair."

I furrow my brow as I spot Kat elbowing him from the corner of my eye.

"I mean," Brick says. "You've been there for us from the beginning, so I feel like I owe you, and Kat likes having you with, so it's a good way to repay you."

Brick and Ethan hurry ahead, and I pull Kat aside.

"Does Brick really think I like country?" I ask.

"It's his birthday. I thought it was sweet of him to invite you."

"Yes, of course," I blurt out. "And I'm super grateful that he did."

"And I've never been on a road trip before." Kat is practically skipping. "My parents always flew us everywhere and I'm really looking forward to it."

I smile. "You're looking forward to a seven-hour car ride?"

"I am." Kat smiles back at me.

"Bags are in the trunk," Ethan says. "And how lucky are we that we were all able to come on this trip?"

There may be some skipping classes involved in this overnight trip, but I don't think anyone is upset about that. The Lions had a game last night and as long as they're back for practice the day after tomorrow, it's all good.

Wes' car pulls in next to us and Lydia, Liam and JD get out.

"Are we ready to go?" Lydia asks, and looks unusually happy.