Chapter 11 - Oops...

Morgan

"Are the wings good?" I ask.

She lowers her pen and nods. "They really are. We got a new chef about a month ago, and wings are her specialty. She marinates them overnight and makes them fresh every day."

"I love wings," I tell JD. "They're not really date food, though."

"Then it's a good thing this isn't a date." He smiles at Mandy. "We'll have the sampler."

"The sampler with thirty or forty wings?" Mandy asks.

"Forty," JD says as I study the menu.

"And which flavors?"

"Maple Chipotle," I say immediately.

JD raises an eyebrow at me, but I just shrug.

"Cajun," JD says after reading the list for a bit.

"Oh, Garlic Parmesan," I say.

"Two more." Mandy smiles at us.

"Do you want Ranch or Spicy Ranch?" JD asks.

Taken by surprise, I meet his eyes. For some reason, it never crossed my mind that he would care what I want.

"Spicy Ranch sounds good."

"And the last one?" Mandy is poised with her pen.

I feel like JD is going to say Buffalo. Isn't that what most people want? I read the list again while I wait for him.

"What do you want?" he asks.

"Oh. Umm. I don't know?"

"Spicy Mango ok?"

I smile. It's the one I had been looking at.

"Yeah, that sounds good."

"Can we also get some fries?" JD says as Mandy writes it all down.

"And onion rings."

"Yeah, that sounds good."

"Drinks?"

"Beer," I say without hesitation. If I'm having wings, I need beer.

"Same."

Mandy smiles and heads off to put in the order.

"Although, if I'm going to spend the night with you, I might need something stronger," I say, half jokingly.

"Gotcha." JD gets up before I can stop him and disappears.

I take the opportunity to text Kat again that I'm perfectly safe and about to have some wings.

She replies with a thumbs up and I put my phone away as JD places two shots in front of me. I grab one and sniff it. "Tequila?"

He takes my hand and holds up the salt shaker. For a wild moment, I imagine him licking my hand, then I pull it back and do it myself. He sprinkles some salt on my hand and I wait for him to do the same to his own.

"Bottoms up?" He holds out his first shot and I clink my glass with his, lick the salt and throw back the shot. It burns as I pick up the lime wedge and bite down.

I meet his eyes over the lime wedge and hold out my hand.

"Again."

We repeat the procedure and I let the alcohol burn through my body and warm me up.

"Looks like something's happening," JD says and points to the stage. A couple of guys are kicking some wires out of the way and plugging instruments in.