Chapter 43 - Watching

JD

I'm headed to the drinks table where Brick is mixing something in a cup. A woman moves in closer and practically shoves her cleavage at him. I can't hear what she's saying, but I move closer in case I have to interfere. There's no way I'm going to let him cheat on my sister.

The woman touches his arm. I take a deep breath. Brick points across the room to Kat. I'm close enough to hear him now.

"See her?" he asks the woman. "That's my future wife. She's the only one I want touching me." He takes the drinks and, without another word, he walks over to my sister and hands her a cup with a goofy grin.

It's still strange seeing Kat at a party. And even stranger seeing her drinking. I want to rush over to her and tell her to go back to her coloring books and dolls. But the way she looks up at Brick lets me know she's not that girl anymore. And maybe it's time for me to let her go.

I grab a beer and spot Wes, Ethan, and Liam. But before I can reach them, I hear the laughter that usually fills my soul with joy. Only this time, it's cuts and slices.

Morgan and Lydia come back inside from the porch. They're talking and laughing as if nothing's wrong. My heart freezes with the chill that comes in with them.

Somehow, I never expected to run into her here. This is a party where my friends are. It's my party. She's not supposed to be here.

A tall blond guy walks up to her, hand in hand, with a small brunette. Morgan seems happy to see them and hugs them. She introduces them to Lydia and looks so happy. I guess her friends are here too.

I walk up to the guys and grab Wes' drink. I need something stronger than beer. Without a word, I chug. Then I lower the cup and stare at Wes.
"What the hell, Wes. This is water."

"I'm the designated driver, idiot. You know that. I drove you here."

"Fuck." I shove the useless liquid back at him and turn to Liam and Ethan. They keep their mugs out of my reach and I swear again.

Taking long swallows from my beer, I head back to the drinks table.

"Hi, there," a woman says and flips her red hair.

"Hey..." I've met her before. She's Morgan's friend.

"Shana," she says and places one finger on my arm that's holding the beer. "And I hear you're on the market again."

I grunt and grab a bottle of depressingly cheap vodka.

"You know, the world is full of women who wouldn't mind spending some time with you."

I take a sip of the terrible drink I made and look over at Morgan. How can she not be looking back? Is it that easy for her to ignore me? To move on?

"Playing hockey must give you really good stamina," Shana drones on beside me.

Maybe she never really liked me? I guess it could have been just sex, but I really thought it was more than that.

"So, do you want to have a drink at my place?"

I pull my eyes from Morgan and stare at the redhead. "Not really," I say and wonder how hard it'll be to get rid of her.

Ethan shows up out of nowhere.

"Yeah, you won't be able to get into his pants," he says, and gives Shana a cocky grin. "But I might be up for something."

Shana huffs loudly as her eyes wander up and down Ethan. She bites her lip as if contemplating the offer, then she looks back at me. "Let me know if you change your mind. I know Morgan won't care."

I want to stop her, ask her what she knows about Morgan and if that's true, but I don't want her to hang around any longer.

Ethan sniffs himself. "You'd tell me if I was repulsive, right?"

I roll my eyes. Ethan has no problem getting girls. He's a six foot four hockey player with loads of money.

"Sure, dude," I say. My attention is back on Morgan. Some guy is approaching her. Lydia doesn't leave her side and my stomach knots as I wait to see if Morgan will turn the guy down or not.

Relief fills me when she does, and I release a breath.

Ethan laughs next to me. "You must be incredibly stupid for not seeing it," he says.

"Seeing what?" I ask, but he's shaking his head and walking away.

All night, I keep watch over Morgan. From time to time, our eyes meet and I know she knows I'm watching, but she doesn't approach me. And I have no intention of talking to her.

It doesn't take me long to realize she's not drinking. Which is a little strange. But what's even stranger is that either Kat or Lydia are by her side at all times. And they keep taking her away out to the porch or to some other room and making her sit down for a while. It's weird.

There's a nagging feeling in the back of my head that something's off. Something's not quite right.

I chug another drink.

"Hey, man," Wes says.

I lean on his shoulder. "It should be a deal breaker." The words sound slurred even to me."

"What should?" Wes takes the drink out of my hand.

"But what if it was a onetime thing? Everyone makes mistakes. If it never happens again, is it really that bad? And we never had the talk. I thought she knew. But I should have told her. If she didn't know."

"I don't know what to say." Wes starts leading me through the party.

"I never asked her to be my girlfriend. But I thought we felt the same. Bluebird and me. She didn't." I sigh. "She must not have felt it. Because she didn't want to be with me."

"I can't understand a word you're saying," Wes says and props me up against a wall. "Can you wait here?"

"I waited for her. Maybe she was still in his bed? While I waited. I wanted to build a snowman. She would have been so happy."

I can feel the sadness take me over as Wes and Ethan lead me away from the house.

"What did I do wrong? I tried to do everything right. I should have talked to her. I should have asked her to be my girlfriend."

"Let's get you home, ok?" Wes says and pushes my head down.

I spot the car in front of me.

"Home." I don't even know where they're taking me, because I have no home anymore.