Chapter 22 - Late at night

JD

The Darcy Library is too quiet, and it's not at all helping me understand the fucking Public Administration shit. I rub my temples and stare at the book in front of me. It's late and I'm tired. I need to get up early for practice tomorrow and I can't understand why I need to learn this crap.

Fuck. Why the fuck did I go out with Regina? And how in the fuck did we end up at the same restaurant as Morgan?

Regina wasn't even all that interesting. The only topics she could hold a conversation on were horses and hockey. I don't know anything about horses, and I have plenty of people to talk about hockey with. And she kept laughing and stroking my arm until I wanted to tear it off and throw it at her.

This entire week and a half has been a massive fuck up. I barely even remember the conversation I had with Morgan on the phone. I woke up with a massive hangover and no idea how I got home. And I fucking fucked up. I shouldn't have been drinking in the first place. And then to call Morgan?

But the worst part, the absolute deepest, fieriest part of the hell that has been these last few days, is the look on Morgan's face when she saw me at the restaurant.

Looking back, I wanted it to be disappointment, anger, or even jealousy. Any of those would have been better. But what I saw was nothing. Either she has the best poker face I've ever seen, or she truly doesn't care that I was on a date with someone else.

Why would she? All we've shared are some wings and a kiss. And the exhibit. And...

No, it doesn't matter. Even Kat was angrier when she saw me there, and she knows there's nothing between me and Morgan. Because Morgan would have told her.

I'm still staring at the same page I've been looking at for the last twenty minutes. Maybe if I subconsciously memorize exactly what it looks like, the information will seep into my brain when I need it?

But why was Kat mad? If Morgan has told her she has no feelings for me, then Kat wouldn't care.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't the captain of the hockey team." A redheaded woman with long green nails is standing in front of me. She smiles, showing off her perfect teeth. "Hi." Her talons reach out for me. I blink. "I'm Shana." I take her hand and shake it.

"Do I know you?" I ask.

"Not yet." She sits down at the table and tilts her head. "But I think it's about time we get acquainted."

"Look, I'm kind of busy."

"Aren't we all?" She unzips her jacket and shows off a deep cleavage. I sigh and stare at the page again. "Tell me, JD, have you been with Morgan?"

Instantly, my attention is back to her. "What?"

"Morgan Roberts? I think you know her."

"I know her."

"Well, I need to know if she won the bet? She looked absolutely pissed at the Greek place the other night."

"No, she didn't."

Shana smirks and leans her elbows on the table. "I figured that you haven't slept together, but after seeing her so upset... Well, I have to make sure."

"Slept with her? What are you talking about?"

She leans back and places an arm nonchalantly over the back of her chair. "She hasn't told you, has she?"

"Told me what?"

"Me and Morgan made a bet. I bet her that she could never... get you."

I hate the way her lips curl and her eyebrow raises. It looks practiced. And I have no idea what she's talking about, but I don't like the way she's speaking about Morgan.