Chapter 30 - Dog trouble

Morgan

It's finally Friday and I'm getting ready for the game with Kat when there's a frantic knock at the door.

Furrowing my brow, I wait for Kat to pull on her shirt before I open it.

"Thank god you're here," Lydia says and storms inside. "I can't get a hold of anyone." She checks her phone.

"What's wrong?" I meet Kat's eyes, and she's as confused as I am.

"It's Max. Well, Chloe, really. And I wouldn't even know, except Trisha found out and told me."

"What about Max?" Kat asks.

"She sold her."

"What?" We stare at Lydia.

"Trisha says Chloe put up an ad and... I don't even know. I can't find the ad now, which probably means she sold Max, and Wes isn't answering."

"They had a meeting before the game," Kat says.

"Is there anything we can do?" I ask.

Lydia is pacing the small room and I try not to stand in her way.

"I don't know. Wes is going to freak. If she sold Max without even asking him, he's going to be so upset."

"Well, maybe she didn't sell her," I say hopefully. "Maybe your friend was wrong?"

"You think?" Lydia stops pacing and stares at me.

"Maybe?" I shrug. "Why don't we try to find out before we jump to conclusions?"

"But how?" Lydia sinks down on my bed as if she suddenly ran out of energy.

"We could go talk to her." I grab my shoes and put them on.

"But the game is about to start," Kat says and bites her lip.

One look at her tells me she hates everything about this idea. Her face is pale and flushed at the same time. She's not confrontational. At all. She's gotten better at standing up for herself, but an angry ex-girlfriend might be pushing it.

"You should go to the game," I say and find my jacket. "Maybe we'll be back in time. In case the guys ask, don't tell them anything. It's important they win this game, so they can't be distracted." I almost groan internally. When did I become this invested in the UNI Lions?

Kat nods. "I can do that."

"Great, come on." I grab Lydia's arm and she gets moving.

"Good luck," Kat says after us.

"Do you know where she lives?" I ask Lydia as we get outside.

She nods. "I've dropped Max off at her apartment. It's not far. We can take the bus."

"Sounds good." We hurry to the bus stop and wait.

"Are you sure about this?" Lydia asks, and stomps her feet against the cold.

"Have you heard the guys talking about that dog? They've built a fence for her and I'm pretty sure Ethan got her some outfit he wants her to wear for a video. Brick doggy proofed the kitchen and keeps yelling at them if they leave grapes out. If we don't try, that house will be in tears."

"You're right about that. I've never seen a group of guys so eager to get a dog." Lydia nods to herself. "We have to try."

The bus arrives and I'm not surprised that Lydia also has a bus pass. Like me, she doesn't have a car or enough money to uber everywhere.

Chloe's building is a twenty-minute ride away, and I think Lydia gets antsier by the second. She practically hovers off the bus at our stop.

"It's here," she hurries to the door while checking her phone for the millionth time. "Wes still hasn't answered."