29장 || Prelude to Fate

Neeria pov

"Lady Neeria, Lady Jinsun has announced she is on her way," a voice declared.

I pretended not to hear, keeping my eyes shut as I tried to ignore the soft footsteps approaching outside the room. They moved around briefly before stopping.

The beams in my bedchamber were softened by the sheer curtains around the bed. I stirred, still unwilling to leave the sanctuary of sleep. My tightly coiled hair fell over my face, shielding me from the world for a few moments longer.

However, wakefulness inevitably arrived, bringing with it a sense of duty I could no longer evade. Another 'cleansing day' ordered by the Queen Dowager lay ahead, filled with endless herbs and peculiar concoctions meant to rebalance my body after my recent loss.

I knew her efforts stemmed from care and obligation, as was customary. Yet, the mere thought of the herbal scents made me sigh in resignation.

I ran my fingers over the bed's fine linens, tracing the designs on the exquisite silk. The sheets still carried the Crown Prince's scent - a blend of sandalwood and cloves that reminded me of his comforting presence, even though he was away on state matters.

I indulged in these memories for a moment, caught between sleep and wakefulness, my fingers gliding over the silk. Each touch brought back memories of the prince - his warm gaze, his lingering scent. One might think I was yearning for a long-lost love, not his brief absence.

This realization made me roll my eyes to myself, grateful to be alone with my thoughts. I would never admit the depth of such feelings to him. I mean, I could... I was beginning to accept that I did have deep emotions, even a hidden infatuation. But I didn't want to. Who would I be to give in so easily to a man I already gave in easily to? This thought was both amusing and thrilling.

I finally opened one eye, still warm with the layers, the only comfort against the chill of autumn. Shivering, I questioned why anyone would willingly endure this. The cold seemed unusually harsh this 'fall,' unlike the rains back home. Today, its shift towards winter felt particularly violent. "How do they live like this?" I asked myself.

I longed to stay in this sanctuary filled with memories. But duty, relentless as the tide, waited for no one's desires.

The echo of footsteps dispelled any further idle thoughts. Lady Jinsun's cultured voice filled the bedchamber, an equal mix of warmth and authority.

"Neeria dear, it is time. The Queen Dowager expects you shortly."

I sank deeper into the bedding, loath to relinquish its sanctuary. "The smell of her potions is awful," I protested under my breath.

Lady Jinsun clicked her tongue, though not ungently. "And still she prepares them herself, simply to aid your healing."

I bit back a retort, knowing well Her Majesty's efforts arose from care, however misplaced. And so I must grit my teeth and endure this trial, as with so many other unfamiliar customs in this foreign land I now called home.

Lady Jinsun's light footsteps drew closer, and I felt her inevitable prodding insistence, her hand firmly pushing back the covers as she coaxed me up. "A few more moments," I grumbled, barely cracking open one eye to see her standing over me, hands on her hips.

She simply raised her eyebrows and pursed her lips.

With great reluctance, I emerged slowly from my haven of linens, skin prickling against the morning chill I was so desperately trying to avoid. Just as quickly, I returned.