86 (Bonus chapter)

Bruno moved from one news station to the next, picking his teeth with his pinky finger. Nothing was showing his work of art at the hospital, everyone was talking about the weather or a scared little boy who got saved by his pet Chihuahua.

How did that unbelievable story top the nurse he'd left dead in one of the best hospitals in the state, switching the television off, Bruno thought more about his next approach and eliminate method.

The security would be buffed but only around his targets and their room floor was another hassle, he wasn't dumb enough to think they'd classify the death as a silly mistake. Bruno didn't make mistakes, he made statements - big ones at that.

"Fuckers." He mumbled to himself, opting to clean his gun, he would take a silencer with him next time, it'd make his job easier.

A loud bang on lower level of the house made him sigh, if Maxwell wasn't paying him a shit load of money, he would have killed the clumsy bitch locked up downstairs.

"What did I tell you bitch?" Bruno said as he took the stairs downstairs.

There was an iron door at the foot of the stairs, not that the girl locked up had any sense to try to escape. Jamming the key into the lock, he shouldered the door open.

The space was so dark he had to use the torch on his phone and just a few feet away was the lanky bitch cleaning up her mess.

If he hadn't known her since she was a wailing baby, he'd have missed her, she's perfected making herself look invisible.

"I-m sorry." She stammered as she wiped the water she'd spilled.

"How many times have I told you to watch it?" Bruno sneered, stepping on her fingers.

To her credit she didn't yell or show any sign of pain. "I didn't see the table."

"How dumb can you get?" Bruno pressed down on her fingers with his heel. "I told you to push these junks to the side of the wall and leave your cleaning till it's time for you to have your candle."

"You didn't give me a candle yesterday."

His backhand was swift, her head snapped to the side from the impact. "What else did I tell you about requesting for things?" She didn't respond.

"Clean this mess up." Bruno kicked the bucket she'd been squeezing the water into, spilling the contents back on the floor. "I don't care how you clean up but be quiet, I'm thinking up there and you're disturbing me."

"I understand." She picked up the bucket, mapping out the spots the water had spilt with the light he was offering for now.

"I will be away for two days starting from tomorrow so I'll bring down the left over bread and since you have water to spill, you can drink from the bucket."

"Thank you." She said, she had a few bottles of water hidden away but she wasn't going to tell him that.

"Remember." He zipped his mouth. "Be fucking quiet, I don't want to come back here again."

She watched him go, hearing the familiar slam of the door, the twist of the key and the usual locking sound.

Squeezing the rag a final time, she picked up the bucket and dropped it silently by the side of the wall where she wouldn't kick it over again.

Walking carefully on the wooden floor avoiding the parts that creaked , she walked into another segment of the space that had been turned into her room.

The springs on her bed had long since found their freedom outside the material so she slept on the floor with a blanket to cover but on some days the heat was so unbearable she slept naked.