8.

The horse moved perfectly to Shelby's rhythm, they danced to a soundless tune, changing steps and making new ones.

Shelby was so focused on the horse she didn't see the crowd that gathered, even Heather had stopped to watch her. She was skillful in her movements, gentle with her touches and daring.

Her bun was long gone, her long dark hair cascaded down her back while some were plastered to her skin because of the heat, she had gotten of her shirt when it became unbearable.

Heather watched, entranced by her every move, when Shelby laughed Heather let out a small smile.

Almost all the workers watched Shelby in awe, everyone was whispering, Heather could only hope they were good things.

Shelby looked like she could ride a horse all day, she was so relaxed and happy, Heather didn't know she could do anything with her face other than have frown lines and guarded eyes but here in this place she was...free.

That was the best word Heather could explain what she was seeing, she was free from whatever was haunting her, from whatever secret she was guarding, from the past she was running from.

The workers cheered when Shelby finally joined them, Shelby greeted the workers with a smile on her face, she handed the horse over to the trainers whispering words no one could hear when the horse resisted.

"She's a fucking natural" Bran said.

"She's outstanding" Heather agreed.

"I don't know why she refused to tame our wild horse"

"You mean Zina?"

"Yes that's the one, I don't know what she's scared of. The biggest mistake we made was sending her out into the world when she wasn't ready"

"She was ready, whatever beat her spirit wasn't the world, it's something only she knows, it's something that runs far deeper than what we see on the surface"

"It all started after she had to quit her job, she ran back here to take care of her father but honestly he was just a fraction of what he used to be." Bran stared at Shelby with pain in his aging eyes. "He left this world empty and broken, no memories, no past, present or future, no hope. He took everything when he died including the joy in Shelby's eyes"

"What do you mean?" Heather frowned

"All I know is the moment before he died he told Shelby she was the only one who knew the reason why she would never be good enough."

"That's sick" Heather stared at Shelby, she just kept getting more complicated "I thought Shelby was daddy's girl"

"That's what everyone thinks even I did, when I heard him utter those words the fantasy world I had built in my head about him shattered into a thousand pieces." Bran dusted his jeans when he jumped down from the fence. "Don't get me wrong, George loved Shelby but at the end of his life he was a bitter, hollow man"
Bran walked away leaving Heather with questions left unanswered and curiosity burning in her soul.

***

Shelby smiled at everyone even though all she wanted to do was flee, Heather had accomplished whatever it was she wanted her to feel, Shelby felt pain and anger.

Heather had pushed the button not even Bran dared to push, she dragged her in with promises she couldn't resist and left her bare with scars that hadn't fully healed.

When she rode the horse she felt like she was on top of the world, she forgot about everything that screamed at her, every basic thought that warned her to harden her shell. She felt freer than she had ever being in almost two years.

"George really left his legacy behind because you Miss Shelby are a beautiful sight for sore eyes when you spoke to that horse like he was your other limb"

Shelby smiled tightly, having had enough of the pleasantries; she desperately needed to lick her wounds before she started to bleed physically.

"I try my best to please, I need to leave, I'll see you guys later" Shelby walked off in the direction of her office but halfway there she changed course towards the stable where their wild horse was kept.

Zina flicked her ears when Shelby walked into her stall who didn't know what she was looking for, she was invading the space of a beast that could kill her with one hit and they both knew it. Zina watched Shelby carefully, none of them moved an inch, they just stared at each other waiting for the other to back down.

When Shelby lowered her eyes Zina snorted, Shelby chuckled softly, Zina was a proud one that was for sure.

Shelby sat down enjoying the silence, Zina didn't move close to her, she stayed on the other side of the stall where she could watch her intruder, she didn't like her there but she would tolerate her presence.
Shelby watched their wild horse with a tiny smile, she was beautiful and radiant, qualities that Shelby didn't have, she was as empty as an unfulfilled promise, a promise she had broken today.

Who could blame her? She knew what freedom tasted like, she saw what happiness looked like, why couldn't she grab it? Why couldn't she have it?

Shelby dozed off with conflicting thoughts, she jerked awake when something poked her, she open her eyes to see the one person she needed to protect herself from.

"You can't sleep here"

"No shit mom"

Heather rolled her eyes, "Skip your tantrums and get up except you want to die of hypothermia"

Shelby shivered from the sudden chill that enveloped her "You know you could have just said cold right?"

"Let's go" Heather all but dragged her out of the stall.

Shelby rubbed her arms or rather the arm Heather wasn't digging her claws into, Shelby dug her heels in yanking her arm out of her grip when she was certain Heather had broken through her skin.

"What's wrong with you? That hurt you know" Shelby rubbed her cold and sore arm with a frown on her face.

"It hurts that much because you're so cold anyone would mistake you for a vampire" Heather hissed.

"Why do you care? I played your game so why won't you leave me alone. I would have preferred to sleep in Zina stall than be here right now"

"Why's that?" Heather pinned her with an icy glare.

"You're more dangerous than she'll ever be and she's the animal"

Heather stiffened, Shelby used that chance to walk by her, she needed to get as far away as possible before Heather regained her composure.

Shelby reached her car in one piece, squealing when she was suddenly slammed against it. "What the hell i-"
She was silenced by the feel of soft lips on hers, Heather wasn't gentle at all with the kiss, she invaded Shelby's mouth with her tongue trapping her moan with her mouth before it escaped, holding her head in place for her assault not giving her even one second to breathe. Heather bit down hard on Shelby's lower lip till she drew blood.

"Fuck!" Shelby winced in pain, she was trapped between Heather and her car, the former was making her head spin.

"I'm sorry" Heather wiped Shelby's lip with her thumb. "I know I'm a monster, I just can't help myself."

"You shouldn't have done that" Shelby tried to push Heather but she wouldn't budge.

"You're right, I shouldn't have" Heather placed her head in the crook of Shelby's neck trying to get herself under control but her scent was heady. "I should go"

Heather left Shelby shaking in the parking lot, not from the cold but from fiery hot need.

°°°
_Laramie_
ho__sanna

hoelitdays
hoelitdays