62

Laughter went round the crowd standing around Heather, apparently she had thought to make her amnesia scare into a joke, the ranch hands were eating it up nicely.

Heather had been discharged without much fuss which Shelby was grateful for, how did one explain to an experienced doctor that his patient was suddenly cured of amnesia? Shelby had then dumped Heather in front of her hotel and flipped her the bird. That was the least she deserved for worrying everyone that cared about her. Everyone with her in the middle sucking up all the space.

"Then I said, 'Who are you? And I could swear she froze." Everyone roared with laughter like that was the funniest thing they'd ever heard.

Shelby stood silently in the corner, finding multiple ways to dispose of Heather in her head.

"I know that look young lady." Bran brushed his shoulder with hers.

"Then you should know I'm planning to kill that brat smiling in the middle of that crowd."

"You want to kill their new found comedienne." Bran tsked. "They wouldn't be happy with that development."

"Why should I care?" Shelby huffed. "I can just feel my hands wrapping round that-"

"Why do you have to be so nasty?" Heather smiled cheekily. "If you wanted me that way, all you had to do was ask."

The object of her anger was standing right in front of her yet Shelby could feel that anger seeping out of her pores into nothingness. "Fuck it!"

"Wow! Someone is excited to see me." Heather teased.

"Shut it Heather and stay out of trouble." Shelby pointed at Heather with narrowed eyes.

"I am the innocent one here sweetheart." Heather smirked. "The trouble always comes to me."

Fiona walked out from the corner with her hand in a cast, she paused for a second when she saw the trio then continued in their direction. "Hello."

"See what I said?" Heather eyed Fiona. "The trouble comes to me."

Fiona shook her head, not in the least bit interested in what she meant. "I've assigned all the jobs that need to be done so I'll just be supervising."

"That's okay with me Fee." Shelby couldn't hold back the subtle jab, "The doctor said no heavy lifting, staying on your feet too long and no heavy lifting."

Fiona smiled sheepishly, "I just wanted to check the damages, that was the only reason why you saw me try to lift the bucket of feed."

"Thank God I got there before you carried out that foolish plan."

The smile on Fiona's face vanished, leaving behind a pained look in her eyes. "Yeah, Thank God."

"Are you okay? Does anything hurt?" Shelby asked in concern

"No, no." Fiona cleared her throat when her voice came out shaky. "I'll leave you to it then."

Nodding her goodbyes, Fiona walked away painfully aware of the three pair of eyes watching her every move.

"Do you think she's fine?" Shelby asked no one in particular.

"She's strong so of course she'll be fine."

"Ever since the accident with Zina, she's been different." Shelby sighed, "I don't know how to explain it."

"Where is Zina?" Heather asked

"Locked up in a dark room." Shelby said tightly.

"Excuse me?" Heather laughed then stilled, "You cannot be serious, why would you put her in a dark room?"