50

Tracy eyed the raging bulls in front of her, one scowling with puffing cheeks another charming as ever with a tiny smile.

Letting the tension edge on was dangerous so Tracy cut right to it.

"Shelby honey." Tracy said in a soft tone. "You need to hash out whatever it is between you and-" Tracy paused almost getting lost in the beautiful embers on the sinful face of Fiona.

"Oh for gods sake!" Shelby threw her hands in the air.

Tracy blushed with the realization that she had indeed gotten lost in those eyes, how did her charm completely elude Shelby? She looked completely livid.

"We don't have to do this, obviously-" Shelby pointed a finger at her. "You're too smitten with her to think straight."

"I'm married." Tracy blushed harder.

Shelby snorted. "Uh huh. I'm sure you remembered Bran when you drooled all over the Egyptian goddess over there."

"Thank you."

Shelby sneered. "That wasn't a compliment."

"Wasn't it?" Fiona raised her brow, eyed bright with humor.

"Whatever."

"Very mature." Fiona smirked at the sudden flash of anger in Shelby's eyes, daring her.

Swallowing the stream of not so nice words down her throat she focused instead on the barn she had been lured into, how had she not noticed Tracy's terrible acting, her light blush should have given her away. Shelby wouldn't be giving audience to this sham of a 'relief' group.

"Shelby sweetie." Tracy cleared her throat, reaching out to take her hand. "It's affecting your work and it won't be long until you start to snap at people."

"I won't do that, I don't mix things in my life." Shelby snapped then winced at her sharp tone. "I'm sorry"

"No harm no foul darling." Tracy patted her hands, relieved that her message was getting across.

"I'll try to tone it down."

"I need you to work. It. Out." Tracy stood from her chair, intent on leaving them alone stopping only because of the terrified look on Shelby's face.

"You're seriously going to leave me here?"

Tracy caught traces of uncertainty before they vanished, reminding her vividly of the woman she never wanted to see again.

"You'll be fine sweets." Tracy resisted the urge to whisk her away from this uncomfortable situation but coddling her would only make her sink deeper into her shell.

Shelby watched Tracy walk out leaving her with the last person she wanted to be with. Fiona fucking Deller.

"You don't look too excited to be here with me."

"No shit Sherlock." Shelby shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

"Look, I don't want to be here either." Fiona rolled her eyes at Shelby's stare of disbelief. "You're hot no doubt but I don't do baggage."

"Excuse me?!"

"You're beautiful but you're so caged up, and my charms don't work on you, trust me I know when to stop if my advances aren't reciprocated but you abhor my advances, like it's the last thing you'd consider even if it was my dying wish."

Shelby blinked, "What happened to asking me out?"

"That's all you got from that?" Fiona rolled her eyes again.

"I've never seen you anything but chirpy so this is new, give me time to adjust."

"I'm always chirpy, everything about me puts you off so I want to know why if not I can stick to my job and throw my half-baked lines elsewhere."

"I know someone like you." Shelby pursed her lips shocked by that revelation.

"Someone like me?" Fiona smirked. "She must be something."

"She is." Shelby admitted. "She is annoying and charming."

"Then why do you sound wistful?" Fiona frowned. "Anyone like me is a sight to behold."

With her hands folded in her lap, Shelby weigh how much she could share without making a fool of herself.

"She's everything like you." Shelby murmured with a tired sigh. "Beautiful, smart, sexy, arrogant. The warning signs were very bright, but my dazzled brain didn't read into them fast enough."

"She broke your heart?"

"She broke me." Shelby choked back a sob. "She took everything I was and threw it to the wolves, there's nothing left of me."

"That's not true, you're smart, beautiful, you communicate with horses like I've never seen. You're unique."

A year ago Shelby might have blushed, maybe swooned but she felt nothing. She didn't feel beautiful or smart, Heather played with her intelligence till there was nothing left, she had been left an empty fool.

"I know that look." Fiona lifted Shelby's chin so she was staring into her eyes. "You're telling yourself something different from what I just dished, you might be a pain in my ass but I would never lie. You are a very beautiful woman Shelby."

The hands on her face lingered for a second then disappeared into her hair, sending shocks through her body, how long had it been since she let passion consume her? How long did she mourn for something that would never be?

Fiona felt like a good start, a fresh start, a beautifully packaged rebound with no bows attached. Her heady scent drew a soft moan from Shelby, she felt and smelt divine.

Fiona pulled Shelby into her lap, one hand still in her hair the other on her thigh. They both stared at each other, none knowing who moved first. The kiss was careful and tender, neither pushing nor prodding just a sensual meeting of lips.

Fiona increased the tempo drawing Shelby into her till she fit like a second skin, their lips moved in a frenzy like junkies on a fix. Fiona dug her hands into Shelby's hair pulling softly, Shelby mewled into the kiss with roaming hands sliding along the muscles on Fiona's arm.

Shelby pulled away when Fiona slid her hands under her shirt. "I'm sorry, I can't."

"What?" Fiona sat confused and dazed.

"I can't do this." Shelby stood with shaky legs putting a huge distance between them.

"You were kissing me senseless a second ago, what changed?" Fiona's blue eyes were deeper than normal, her smile completely gone.

"I just can't and I'm sorry. I liked kissing you but-"

"It wasn't as mind blowing for you as it was me." Fiona finished.

"Yes." Shelby blinked back the tears of shame imprinting itself in her soul. "I don't know what happened but it didn't feel-"

"As good as her." Fiona said, hitting the nail on the head.

A minute might have passed before Shelby admitted. "No, it wasn't as good as her."

Fiona nodded, fixed her shirt and left quietly. Shelby waited till she was sure she was far enough before crumbling down into a heap of sobs.

°°°
I apologize for procrastinating, I'm back.