20

Sore. That was how Shelby felt when she could finally open her eyes, it felt like a chore to even have her eyes open.

She couldn't remember the last time when she'd felt utterly satiated, with a goofy smile on her face she reached her hands out for her lover, when she couldn't find her by her side she sat up from their make shift bed to examine her surroundings.

There was nothing but hay and stifling quietness, she looked silly lying naked and alone. There was no sign of her lover. Heather was just... Gone.

°°°°

Shelby dressed quickly, she didn't know what she was going to say if anyone stumbled up on her, she didn't know if she was ready to see anyone.

She felt like she had been cut open- she felt used.

Shelby checked her phone for the umpteenth time, maybe Heather had dropped a hint of a message but like every other time there was nothing, Shelby bit her lip as she blinked her tears away.

Why did it feel like she was dying inside? So what if she was Heather's one night stand. It wasn't like she didn't guess something like this would happen.

Shelby squeezed her shirt as she walked out of the barn because she felt like she bleeding out, like she had deep wounds on display.

The petite woman walked swiftly to her office locking herself in immediately.

She gasped for air like she had run a marathon, sliding down until she was sitting on the floor then she cried.

Quiet sobs escaped her lips and tremors racked her body, she bit her lip hoping nothing guttural would escape, she didn't need anyone thinking there was a wounded animal locked in her office.

Quickly wiping her face when she heard heavy footsteps approaching her office, she sat still with no intention of letting anyone know she was in.

"Shelby are you in there?"

Fresh tears welled in her eyes then raced down her cheeks, but this time in relief.

"Shelby?"

Shelby sat still just listening to Heather's voice, letting it soothe the wounds she had inflicted on herself jumping when her phone rang out dispelling the silence and giving her away.

"Shelby I know you're in there, let me in." Heather banged on her office door.

Shelby dusted herself and unlocked the door before Heather made a scene.

"Why didn't you let me in even though you kne-" Heather paused in her irritated rant taking in the red puffy eyes of her lover.

"What's wrong?" Heather scanned her body with her eyes. "Did I hurt you? What did I do baby?"

"I thought you left." Shelby let out a shaky breath. "I woke alone and there was no message telling me where you'd gone so I thought you left."

Heather's expression softened. "I just went to get us breakfast, I tried waking you but you didn't budge so I rushed to your favorite spot to get us breakfast."

Heather raised the bags she had in her hand so Shelby could see. Shelby nodded blinking away the stupid tears threatening to trickle down her face.

"Come here baby" Heather opened her arms for Shelby to run into.

Heather dropped the bags carefully on the desk and still managed to maneuver them so they were now lying on the couch.

She caressed her lovers back till the trembling stopped, she wouldn't whip out words of comfort because Shelby didn't need them, she was a strong woman who needed the truth and Heather's presence was truth enough.

Heather busied herself by playing candy crush on her phone, her brunette was nestled in her arms with a death grip on her shirt, she wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

"Heather"

Heather stirred and groaned, something hot and heavy was resting on her mid section.

"Heather! Wake up"

Blinking her eyes open in confusion, when did I fall asleep?

"I have no idea but your tummy woke me up." As if on cue Heather's tummy let out a sorrowful plea.

Heather wrapped her arms around her tummy with a cute tint of pink dusting her cheeks.

"I didn't think you could blush, you're always so cold and in charge." The smaller woman poked Heather's cheeks.

Heather swatted her prodding fingers away from her face. "Oh shut it. I just need to eat."

"Hmm-hmm we'll pretend this never happened."

"You better do." Heather mumbled.

Shelby got off Heather to grab the food she had gotten them earlier.

"How did you know my favorite?" Shelby asked

Heather shrugged. "I took a wild guess, you can't be that picky about food. In this part of the world you have little choices."

Shelby chuckled. "You did not just insult my town."

Heather raised her hands in the air. "I'm innocent of everything you could accuse me of."

"Not quite." Shelby said under her breath.

"Huh?"

"Nothing nothing" Shelby pushed a pack of already cold food into Heather's hands. "I'm sorry we couldn't eat this earlier because of- you know."

"Yeah" Heather stared at the food in her hands feeling at a loss, she had never had a problem asking people about sensitive things but now with Shelby her mouth wouldn't open.

They ate in silence both lost in dark thoughts. Shelby disposed the plates when they done and then they drowned in an even deeper silence. Heather needed answers and Shelby was rebuilding her walls.

"It's getting late." Shelby finally broke the silence.

"Yeah, I should get going?" Heather said it more like a question.

Shelby avoided her gaze instead getting up from the couch. "Yes you should."

Heather nodded wordlessly walking out of her office, if Shelby was going to give her the cold shoulder and push her out, Heather needed a night of uninterrupted sleep. Tomorrow she would resume with a battering ram on her shoulders to break through her brown eyed lovers iron walls.

Pausing at her car door she tilted her head towards the ranch, to think she was going to close it down just months before.

Heather knew what she signed up for when she agreed to come here but a horse, an old man and a not-so southern belle that was keeping her rooted to this place wasn't it.

°°°°

hoelitdays
hoelitdays I miss you.
Laura_Zini
ho__sanna
_Laramie_