33

Melissa watched the woman in front of her take in the house through her sunglasses, when she removed them Melissa wanted her to put them back, her gaze was piercing, cold and unwavering like it had always been.

"It looks squeaky clean here Melissa, looks like you put those old bones to use for once."

Melissa normally winced at her words but she had grown tougher skin since this devil came into their lives. "Actually I have, it doesn't hurt to bend my back once in a while."

"Hmm"

The doorbell dinged, Melissa had a stare off with her before she turned to get the door but she couldn't help herself so she turned and said. "That's how people signal that they're at the door nowadays but I'm guessing all the water in Santorini couldn't wash away the filth you came from."

The woman smiled at the retreating figure of Melissa, she had spunk and fire that was why she liked her.

Melissa reappeared with bags of groceries and she did nothing to help her, she watched her comfortably as she struggled with a zillion bags not once feeling the need to help.

"So tell me" Melissa pushed a stray hair back into her tight bun. "What brings you here Renee?"

Renee cracked her knuckles taking in the house once more, there were too many memories, too many painful and sweet memories. Every nook and cranny of the house told a story, it was almost painful to recall most of them.

"I'm here on a business trip."

Melissa didn't push her plain answer, she never said anything straight so she wasn't bothered. She focused instead on stocking the groceries and prayed the women upstairs stayed there. It was the safest place in the house to be.

"Are you still rotting away in this big house all by yourself?" Renee asked

"I seem to like rotting away in this big house, it's pleasant and great." Melissa bit the insides of her cheeks to still her restless tongue.

"We could go somewhere sometime you know, get tanned and soak in steaming water. A week away with me would do you some good."

"Leave this house and go anywhere with you?" Renee laughed at the appalled look on Melissa's face.

"Come on! It can't be that bad, we'll just be two girls having fun and catching up."

"You wouldn't dump me in the middle of nowhere the first chance you get?"

Renee flashed her crafty smile, "That would be a sight to see, it would be the cherry on a beautiful cake I would be eating on a flight way opposite of your direction. The thought of you stranded without any means of getting out is making me thrilled."

Warm eyes met cold ones with a look of trepidation, "You're sick."

"That's why I blend easily here, we're just a bunch of sick people only downside for you is you don't have much time left."

"That's rude."

Melissa shook her head slightly when she saw Shelby in the kitchen, she had been avoiding this for minutes, if she had pushed the devil into one of the guest rooms then maybe this disaster wouldn't be happening.

"What is? And who are you?"

"I'm a guest here and you saying all those things to her is very rude."

Renee took in the woman in front of her appreciatively, she was stunning- very stunning in fact. This wasn't what she was expecting when she planned the ruckus she was going to create.

"Well miss whoever you are, I live here and I can talk to Melissa however I like, she's my staff so my utterances towards her aren't any of your business."

"She's a human being." Shelby gritted her teeth. "Before you clothed her with the robes of a staff she was a human being, it wouldn't lessen the chip on your shoulders if you treated her properly."

Shelby was infuriated, who was this woman? How could someone be so dense and unfeeling? The strange woman was slightly taller than her thanks to her heels, her grey hair contrasted with her red suit but she rocked the look anyway. Her stance screamed power and poise, no one got that from just watching TV, this woman was a big shot and she said she lived in the house? With so much glitter around her Shelby wasn't sure she would have missed her if she had caught a glance of her greyish locks.

Renee raised her brow at the woman's tone, no one had the audacity to speak to her like this or even think of challenging her yet this woman was staring her down with her unattractive puffy eyes and red cheeks.

"You've got some balls to speak to me like that."

"Oh! I'm sorry did I offend you? Do you feel a little upset because I didn't address you properly?"

Renee seethed trying to get the matter under control, she had never felt off balance in a conversation, this woman was everything he warned her about, she needed to get rid of her quickly.

"Where's Heather?" Renee directed the question to Melissa, she was done having a pointless spat with-

"What's your name?"

"Shelby, Shelby-"

"MacLean"

Shelby eyed the woman now leaning on the counter eating a fruit skeptically, she would remember if she met her somewhere, their circles didn't mix and would likely never so how did she know her name.

"I love it when you look confused, it keeps words from coming out of your mouth." Renee swallowed the contents in her mouth painfully, the fruit wasn't ripe yet.

"How do you know my name? Do I know you?"

"As much as you would wish for that to happen no, we haven't met before. I'm here on a business trip that concerns you and Heather."

"Business?" Shelby felt as confused as she looked. "We have no business together, I don't even know you and no offense you're not really who anyone would want to know."

Renee smiled tightly. "None taken."

"Where's Heather?" Renee asked Melissa again.

"I don't know, she might be somewhere sulking." Melissa shrugged.

"Awwn! I didn't know she missed me."

"What business do you have with Heather?" Shelby couldn't help but ask even though it hurt to hear her name or even think about her.

"I'm certain she didn't tell you this juicy part about her life." Renee smiled like she knew something Shelby didn't which irks the life out of the petite woman.

"We haven't had much time to talk so no."

"I'll enlighten you then." Renee smiled wider when Heather made an entrance, the horrified look on her face was the most beautiful art piece Renee had ever seen. "I'm her wife."

°°°
Lenifty don't kill me
hoelitdays miss you