61

Demian Wren took a long drag from the cigarette he was holding as he stared across the table at the six other men nursing their drinks. The meeting with Max Salvatore had riled up some people and ruffled a few feathers. Especially Christian who was still yapping on about something everyone had stopped listening to.

"The bastard! How could he dismiss me like that? He's so lucky we're business partners or else I would end him."

"That's the only part where we agree on." Demian stubbed out the cigarette in the ashtray, half hoping Christian would shut up and allow them push on to pressing matters.

"He's a proud fucker." Christian spat out. "I really will end him."

"We can focus on ending him if we actually focus on the reason for this meeting Christian." Demian said slowly with a tight lipped smile.

"Yes of course, apologies gentlemen."

Demian cleared his throat, "Max isn't looking like he's going to deliver on this particular gold mine." A series of 'Hear Hear' went round the table, "I don't know how best to proceed with this because there's only so far i can dip my feet into his pond before he tears my limb to shreds."

"He's a pussy. I don't know why anyone should be scared of him" Christian laughed at his own words.

"Definitely not a pussy you want to fuck with and you're a fool not to be scared of Maxwell Salvatore, a big fool." Demian replied erasing Christian's smile. "We can only wait for him to flop and drown himself then..."

Relighting another cigarette, Demian took a long drag into his screaming lungs. "We never let him resurface."

°°°

"She's coming to."

"Someone page a doctor."

"Squeeze my hand if you can hear me." Heather squeezed only because she wanted the voices to quiet down.

"She's conscious, her vitals look fine. We just need her to open her eyes."

"Heather can you hear me?" I wish I couldn't

"I need you to squeeze my hands twice for yes and once for no alright?" Heather squeezed multiple times praying someone interpreted it as 'Shut the fuck up!!'

"That's a nice grip you've got, all you need to do now is open your eyes." Heather tried for a couple of seconds before her eye lids gave way to stabbing pain.

Heather hissed at the blinding light, shielding her face with her hands.

"You've been asleep for a while so it'll take time to adjust." Heather squinted her eyes at the nurse who was smiling widely, there were several nurses actually; some unhooking her from some machines and others double checking her vitals.

"The doctor will be here shortly to ask you a few questions."

Heather nodded, she didn't understand what was happening, how did she get here? "Uhmm, do you know what happened to me?"

The nurses smile turned down a notch as worry clouded her eyes, "You had an accident, a horse attacked you"

"A horse?" Heather frowned in confusion. "I've never seen or touched a horse in my life."

The nurses shared a look then resumed what they were doing. "That's okay, the doctor will be here soon and I'm sure he'll be able to answer all your questions."

"I have none, I'm just wondering how I got attacked by a horse. Can I be discharged soon? I have to get back to work?"

The doctor walked in just as Heather sat up, "Woah there, you can't be sitting up right now, you need to rest."