82 (Bonus chapter)

"Look what darkness and death dragged out of the bag." Renee's chest constricted painfully in relief, "Didn't you miss me?"

"Unfortunately I kind of did." Heather croaked, her throat felt raw and dry. "Can I have some water please?"

"Let me call a nurse for that, I don't know if water might be a good idea."

"Are you worried?" Heather smiled. "I thought you'd pour a jug of water down my throat."

"Maybe I'm waiting for you to recover so I can hurt your feelings." Renee squeezed her hand, "God! I missed you."

"Is that tears?" Heather squeezed back, "I thought you could only produce ice at this point."

Renee wiped beneath her eyes, "There's something in the air I'm allergic to, I was fine either way if you didn't wake up, it makes my life easier."

"I'm happy I don't need to listen to your obnoxious voice everyday."

"I'm flattered."

"Where's Shelby?" Heather looked at the closed door and tried sitting up.

"Hey!" Renee pushed her back down. "The nurses said that's a bad idea, Shelby will be brought to you unharmed, you've been sleeping for a while, a little more patience won't kill you."

"It's not the same thing, when I was under I didn't feel worried or- can you just find out if she's coming?"

"Gee, is this what love feels like?" Renee rolled her eyes. "Danica went to personally fetch the woman of your dreams, calm down soldier."

"I'm calm, just restless."

Danica walked in with Shelby on her arm. "Here she is."

Heather's smile dimmed, Shelby's eyes were covered with a bandage, her mother was basically leading her. "What the hell happened?"

"It's a long story and we don't need to get into it now, enjoy her presence and later we'll talk about it."

"What the fuck does that mean?" Heather held her throat with one hand, swallowing to ease the pain.

"Now I recall how annoying you can be." Renee glared at Heather. "For once in your life listen to me, you don't need to hear about everything that has happened in the past few months."

"Months? I've been out for months?" Heather sounded shocked. "What the hell happened?!"

Renee opened and shut her mouth, looking to Danica. Danica helped Shelby to a chair beside Heather's bed and squeezed her daughters leg.

"You were shot by your father."

"I know that! Everything hurts because I remember that." Heather grinded her teeth. "My throat hurts, can you get a nurse?"

"On it." Renee promptly went in search for a nurse.

"It was a miracle that you survived, and we almost believed you didn't and that's why Shelby has those bandages; it's to protect her eyes because she overstressed them."

"And Gibb? How's Gibb?" Heather groaned, the pain in her throat getting worse.

Danica shook her head, "He didn't make it unfortunately, you were the lucky one."

"Oh God!"

Renee returned with a doctor, "Hello, how are you feeling?" She asked Heather.

"My throat hurts." Heather complained, massaging it with her hand.

"I need to check it, please move your hand." The doctor poked around Heather's throat, stopping at the parts where she winced. "Okay. Your throat isn't healed, the bullet missed your voice box by an inch or we'd be having a different conversation today,  I'd advice you to take a few ice cubes to ease the pain and if you can do not talk at all."