40

Heather nursed her sore ass, her mom may or may not have spanked her- once. Renee snickered at the scowl on Heather's face.

"It's not funny."

"It's not?" Renee batted her lashes innocently.

"Whatever. Just shut the fuck up."

Renee's lips tilted slightly in a half smile, "I didn't even say anything."

"Whatever."

"Is that the only word in your vocabulary, your mom should spank you often. Your voice can get real annoying when you hear it whine every day."

Heather adjusted the ice packs she was sitting on biting back the 'whatever' about to roll off her tongue. "You're such a bitch, you're the one who got us into this mess."

"I wasn't the one who dragged her out of the house by her hair"

"What was that?"

Heather shook her head side to side wildly. "It was nothing like that, she's lying mom I swear."

Renee choked on air when Danica's glared in her direction, she had been trying not to get Danica's attention on her for too long, she was a very sweet woman, right now she had invisible horns on her head Renee didn't want to touch.

The silence inched towards awkwardness so she said. "My flight leaves in five hours, I really need to get ready so I won't miss it."

Danica hummed knowing she was asking for permission to leave, when the sound of her footsteps receded Heather attempted to make a quick run for it.

"Don't do it young lady, sit your ass back in that chair."

Heather glared at her mother with a pout on her lips. "My ass hurts"

"It's a small price to pay." Danica shrugged.

"I could sue you for child abuse-"

"You're not a child." Danica swiftly pointed out.

"I'm your only child."

"Maybe I should get another one." Danica eyed her daughter. "You're a handful"

Heather grumbled, "You didn't have to hit me so hard."

"It was just a light spank, I didn't even mean to hit you." Danica giggled. "It was just so fun watching it jiggle, when did you grow up?"

Heather's face turned a light shade of pink. "Mom!"

"Come on, I've got eyes. You've added weight in all the right places, that's why these women keep falling for you."

"What can I say?" Heather flipped her hair, a wide smile evident on her lips. "What's not to like about this?"

"Your brain." Danica retorted

Melissa coughed hoping to stop the hysterical laughter stuck at the back of her throat, the smile on Heather's went flat.

"You don't have to be mean mom"

"I don't have to, I need to."

"I just-" Heather played with her fingers. "I didn't know how to react to the news."

"Did she slit the child's throat?"

"What?! No she di-"

"Was she a psychopathic stalker who went after only children?"

"No she w-"

Heather gritted her teeth when her mother interrupted her again. "Did she purposely not check the equipment that day?"