63

Heather could just see Fiona snickering at her stupid victory. pfft. Like Heather would ever let her win. "We're going to be stuck in here for a while."

"No shit sherlock." Shelby released her hair from the ponytail she had made earlier, letting it fall over her shoulders and back in waves.

"I'm not the one who believed the padlock story."

"I saw you walking towards the stable, I acted without thinking."

"Fiona said those were the blind spots."

Shelby snorted. "She was the one who supervised the installation, there are no blind spots."

"That bitch!" Heather sighed, she had no choice but to make herself comfortable on the ground. "I'm going to kill someone when I get out of here."

"You and me both, maybe I'll even fire her."

"I second that opinion."

"That's just wistful thinking, her stats are ridiculously high for a new hire."

"I could get the same results."

"You know nothing about horses, dirt or cleaning out stalls." Shelby shook her head. "You're a princess, stay that way."

"I wanted to experience the little things but my father was an important man in the world." Heather smiled wistfully. "I had to be just as important, I had to stand up to my family name or have it eventually rope me in. I was never the irresponsible child, my grades were the best in the world, I opened doors no one dared touch."

"My life sounds nothing as glamourous as yours. My fat-" Shelby paused. "My father was a gentle and kind man who gave me the world even when I didn't ask. I was the basic daddy's girl."

The smile on Shelby's lips was flat, there was a faraway look in her eyes as she continued. "He was my rock, my guardian angel, my everything. I got my love for horses from him, I desperately wanted to make him proud though he never asked me to be the best but I was. There was this time when I was accepted into Oxford after graduation and I turned it down because I wanted to help him out for a few years before rushing off anywhere, my father turned so red that day I thought he was going to combust." Shelby laughed at the memory.

"He seemed to have loved you very much."

Shelby's face went blank. "Yea. He sure did."

A comfortable silence settled between them, with both of them lost in their separate thoughts until Heather spoke.

"Remember the last time we were stuck in a barn?" Heather wiggled her brows.

"Get your mind out of the gutters. I remember vividly but we aren't recreating any memories today."

"It's just the two of us baby, there's only so much talking we can do." Heather said in a sultry voice.

"Shut it vixen." Shelby scoffed, "I don't sleep with married women."

"Lucky for you." Heather crawled to where Shelby was seated. "I'm no longer married so I'm free to sleep with."

Shelby poked Heather's cheek hard. "There's no way in hell I'm sleeping with you."

"Never say never."

"Never." Shelby stuck out her tongue.

They shared a smile, Heather leaned in slowly stopping inches away from Shelby's lips. "I love you."

Shelby nuzzled Heather's nose, choked up with emotions. "You don't get to tell me you love me for the first time in a dirty stable, I'm not having it. You're going to take me on a date and profess your undying love for me."