76

Mary had handed in her resignation letter- more like emailed it after the meeting and Heather couldn't blame her. The work load pressing down on her was what caused the headache plaguing her not the fact that her secretary abandoned her when she needed her the most, nope that didn't bother her.

"Ma'am." Her new secretary Macy smiled apologetically, "Your father is on line three."

"I already said I don't want to speak to him Macy, tell him I went hiking or something."

"There are no mountains close by-"

Heather's icy glare shut her up, she took everything literally and left Heather wondering if she had a brain in her head.

"Oh! I understand now." Macy walked out of the office quietly, leaving Heather to curse Mary in peace.

The will her father was carrying around could do as much harm as a virus in a computer and there were always counter measures for that. He was feeling cornered now hence his need to speak to her. Imagine the uproar if this leaked, Heather faulted Mary less for leaving, she'd become a liability.

Her eyes strayed to the phone sitting idly on her desk just like every other day she had holed herself up in the office keeping the company afloat and warding off the deeply stained hands of her father, sorting the documents and going through the company's ledger brought so many unbelievable things to her attention.

Her father-Maxwell had dipped his hands into places Heather didn't dare think about, Gibb was the best man for the job but after Renee warning, her trust in him waned. If he was working undercover for her father then it would be better if she uncovered this trail on her own.

Half of the high ranking company staffs changing as far back as twenty years had embezzled enough money to make a bank jealous. These men had paved way for their children to come into the position and continue the family business- stealing from her father.

Maxwell might be an unstable business man but he was anything but dumb, did he know these people were stealing from him? Did he knowingly allow them continue stealing from him? Was she going to stir a hornet's nest the moment she went after them? Was that what her father wanted? Did he always know this moment would come and allowed them steal; steal enough that when he was going down, they went down with him.

Pushing the files away, Heather glanced at the phone again. Shelby was one call away, it wasn't enough; one call didn't change anything. The craving for her lover was now a longing, one so deep it was burrowing a hole in her chest. One way or another, she needed to sort out this mess or her lover would only move farther away.

°°°

"Ma'am."

"What?" Heather controlled her voice, Macy was an itch she scratched till she became a sore open wound. The woman got on every single nerve in her body.

"There's a man here to see you."

"If it's my father, I will fire you."

Macy's eyes widened, her hands waving around frantically. "No ma'am I swear, it's not your father, he doesn't have an appointment just said you'd want to see him."

"If he doesn't have an appointment then send him away."

"Not when I can just walk into your office."

Macy turned to the man now standing in the office then to Heather with a panicked expression. "I did not let him in, I specifically told him to wait for me in the-"

"You can go Macy." Heather slapped her diary shut, the man was already in her office; might as well deal with it. "How may I help you?"

"I'm offended you don't recognize me." The man stood with his hands in his pocket, a boyish grin on his face.