39. I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

Alex's eyes stayed on the sky as she waited to see if she could spot her mum and dad flying off just one more time, almost like she was trying to tell herself that they were alive and okay

Alex's eyes stayed on the sky as she waited to see if she could spot her mum and dad flying off just one more time, almost like she was trying to tell herself that they were alive and okay.  But she didn't because Hermione spoke up.

"Guys!" She exclaimed as she tugged at both of their sleeves.  "We've got exactly ten minutes to get back down to the hospital wing without anybody seeing us - before Dumbledore locks the door -"

"Okay," Harry agreed, taking his own gaze off the sky, "let's go..."

The three of them took off down the spiral staircase but the sound of voices made them stop and glance at each other. Flattening against the wall in the darkness, they listened carefully and Alex immediately recognized the voice.

"... only hope Dumbledore's not going to make difficulties," Snape's voice spoke. "The Kiss will be performed immediately?"

"As soon as Macnair returns with the dementors. This whole Black affair has been highly embarrassing. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to informing the Daily Prophet that we've got him at last... I daresay they'll want to interview you, Snape... and once young Harry's back in his right mind, I expect he'll want to tell the Prophet exactly how you saved him, along with Alexandria..."

Alex looked at Harry, who was clenching his teeth and pretended to gag herself quietly. But Harry had to bite back a laugh so as to not reveal their hiding place.

"And I assume Miss Selwyn will remain in my custody?" Snape asked.

"Oh yes," Fudge reassured him. "Obviously, her mother won't be suitable caretaker after the accusations made against her in aiding a fugitive willingly."

"Understandable," Snape agreed as they continued walking on.

Alex had to try really hard not to shout at him about never wanting to live with him again. Once they couldn't hear their footsteps, the three of them ran in the opposite direction down a few staircases and down a corridor that would lead them to the hospital wing. But the sound of a familiar cackling stopped them.

"Peeves!" Harry told them before yanking them both into an empty classroom. "In here!"

Carefully, Alex peaked her head out of the classroom just in time to see the infamous poltergeist bouncing down the corridor, cackling loudly and happily. Luckily, he didn't catch sight of her.

"Oh, he's horrible," Hermione whispered, as she listened behind Alex. "I bet he's all excited because the dementors are going to finish off Sirius and Alliana..." She glanced down at her watch. "Three minutes!"

After making sure Peeves was a safe distance away, they all ran out of the room and down the hallway. Alex's heart pounded as they ran as fast as they could.

"Hermione - what'll happen - if we don't get back inside - before Dumbledore locks the door?" Harry asked while panting.

"I don't want to think about it!" Hermione answered, glancing at her watch as they kept running. "One minute!"