19. Nothing like awkward first dates to reaffirm friendships

True to what Alex and Fred had predicted, as soon as he had learned that Hufflepuff did not win their game against Ravenclaw, Wood began to push for more practices on the Gryffindor team

True to what Alex and Fred had predicted, as soon as he had learned that Hufflepuff did not win their game against Ravenclaw, Wood began to push for more practices on the Gryffindor team. It was to the point where the only time Alex had in between lessons and practices was spent doing her homework, leaving little time for her to spend with Cedric, much to Fred's delight.

As the holidays approached, people began to talk about what their plans were for the holidays. Alex was staying at the castle because she, Ron, and Hermione didn't want to leave Harry without any company. His mood had significantly improved since Hufflepuff lost their game, but both he and Alex still needed new broomsticks. The ones provided by the school were not going to be suitable for any quidditch game, especially against the Nimbus 2001s that the Slytherin team had.

Alex's mind always thought about the Firebolt that was hidden under her bed, but she still didn't know how she could explain exactly how it came into her possession.  If Severus found out about it, he would be furious and she wasn't sure how she could explain to him that she had received it as a gift.  But she still hadn't figured out who had sent it.

Just a few days before the end of term, Alex was rushing to the potions classroom to discuss with Severus her plan to stay at Hogwarts for the holidays when the sound of her name being yelled at caught her attention. She looked to see Cedric running up to her with a smile on his face.

"I feel like I haven't been able to talk to you in weeks," he joked breathlessly as they walked along.

"Sorry," she responded with a sheepish smile. "Every moment we're not in lessons or a meal or sleeping, Wood has been having us practice. And if we're not practicing, we're discussing different strategies for the other teams we still have to face. I would not be shocked if Wood decided to cut into our sleep schedules."

Cedric laughed at that comment. "Well, I wanted to find you to discuss that date for Hogsmeade," he told her.

Her stomach tightened at his words. "Oh yeah, what's the plan?"

Alex would only admit this to herself, but the more she thought about the date, the more awkward it felt.  She liked Cedric, but she wasn't sure exactly to what extent that meant.  Not only that, but ever since the quidditch match and Fred had kissed her, he had been on her mind more.  She didn't know what to make of the attention she was receiving from him.

"Well, have you heard of Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop?" He asked, to which she nodded. "I was thinking we could spend the morning there but I have to get my Christmas shopping done after that."

"Yeah, we can do that and then we can part ways after because I have to help Ron and Hermione pick out presents as well," she told him with a reassuring smile.

"Great," he told her, "meet me in the Entrance Hall that morning then?"

"It's a date," she responded with a slightly forced smile.