34. Not the family reunion I was expecting...

Alex let out a strangled sob that was louder than she anticipated before covering her mouth with her hands to muffle the sound so the men nearby didn't hear her

Alex let out a strangled sob that was louder than she anticipated before covering her mouth with her hands to muffle the sound so the men nearby didn't hear her.  She could feel Harry freeze as well.  Then they heard a loud wail.

"Hagrid," Harry told them, going to turn and head back to his hut.

"Harry, no!" Alex exclaimed quietly as all three of them grabbed his arm to keep him from moving back.

"We can't," Ron told them, his face paler than usual.  "He'll be in worse trouble if they know we've been to see him..."

Alex sobbed quietly, covering her mouth again to conceal the noise.  Hermione was breathing quickly and raggedly as they continued walking towards the castle.  "How - could - they?" She spoke.  "How could they?"

"Come on," Ron told them.

The group began to walk back up to the castle, trying to go slow so the Cloak continued to keep them hidden.  Alex could still feel Scabbers squirming around, causing her to grit her teeth.

"Ron," she spoke in a warning tone, not in the mood to be dealing with a rat who couldn't keep still or quiet.

"Scabbers, keep still," Ron told the rat as he wriggled under his hand.  "What's the matter with you, you stupid rat?  Stay still - OUCH!  He bit me!"

"Ron, be quiet!" Hermione warned.  "Fudge'll be out here in a minute -"

"He won't - stay - put -" Ron gritted as Scabbers was writhing with everything that was left in the little rat.  He was absolutely terrified and none of them knew why.

"What's the matter with him?" Harry asked.

Then movement caught Alex's eyes and she spotted Crookshanks creeping towards them.  She gasped as she nudged Ron, who spotted the cat as well.

"Crookshanks!" Hermione spoke.  "No, go away, Crookshanks!  Go away!"

"Scabbers - NO!" Ron yelled.

The rat managed to slip between Ron's hands and was scrambling away.  Crookshanks ran after him, causing Ron to throw the Invisibility Cloak off himself and Alex as well, since she'd been standing so close to him and run into the darkness.

"Ron!" Alex yelled, running after him.

She could hear Ron ahead, as well as Harry and Hermione running behind her as they came up to where Ron was shouting at Crookshanks.

"Get away from him - get away - Scabbers, come here - Gotcha!  Get off, you stinking cat -"

Alex tripped over Ron's leg and collapsed next to him to see he was still struggling with Scabbers in his hands.  Harry and Hermione luckily skidded to a stop right in front of the two of them.

"Ron - Alex - come on - back under the cloak -" Hermione spoke breathlessly.  "Dumbledore - the Minister - they'll be coming back out in a minute -"

But Hermione's words were cut off at the sound of giant paws coming right for where they were.  Alex looked up to see an enormous black dog, causing her to gasp.  It was the exact same dog she had seen with Cedric in Hogsmeade all those months ago.