22. Professor Trelawney's eccentric behavior, what else is new?

A sharp gasp escaped Alex as she sat up straight in her bed, her heart pounding out of her chest as the nightmare replayed in her head

A sharp gasp escaped Alex as she sat up straight in her bed, her heart pounding out of her chest as the nightmare replayed in her head. It was her version of what had happened like Fudge described when her dad was cornered and killed all those muggles.

Only, instead of Peter Pettigrew, it was Harry who had confronted him. And Alex had to watch as he was blown to smithereens.  The sight in her mind was gruesome and brought tears to her eyes. Even if Harry hated her now, she would not wish that fate on him or anyone.

The sound of people moving about and chatting excitedly broke her train of thought and she opened the curtains to find the other girls in her dorm packing the last of their belongings to go home for the holidays. A heavy sigh left her as she climbed out of the bed and began to get ready for the day.

Grabbing her bag and coat so she didn't have to come back, she walked out of the common room. Almost everybody she saw was sharing last minute goodbyes and promises to write before heading down to get breakfast before departing for the train. She didn't bother to try looking for her old friends in the faces of the crowd.  They wouldn't want to talk to her anyway.

Alex followed the crowd, trying to keep her head down as she made it into the Great Hall. There was more excited chatter from everybody but she was grateful none of them seemed to look at her. The secret of her father remained that, a secret.

For now.

She plopped down at the Gryffindor table but didn't reach for any of the food in front of her. The entire night, her stomach was in a tight knot and it hadn't let up that morning. The thought of eating made her nauseous.

"Alex," a voice spoke, causing her to jump before turning to see Cedric walking up to her with a smile before he saw how exhausted and sick she looked.  It was a complete one eighty from how he had seen her the previous day at Hogsmeade.

"Cedric," she greeted dryly. "Heading home for the holidays?"

He ignored her question and her tone as he sat next to her. "What happened?" He asked. "Are you okay?"

Sniffling, she shook her head. Cedric gave her a sad smile before wrapping his arm around her to try and comfort her. She leaned into his touch, appreciating that he didn't care if she was breaking down.  He seemed to always find her when she was in the middle of a mental breakdown.

"I really appreciate you coming over to check on me, but I would like to be alone right now, Cedric," she told him through sniffles.

Cedric nodded in understanding with a sad smile before checking his watch.  "I've got to head to the station anyway but I'll write to you, okay?"

She only nodded, giving him one last hug before he rushed to catch up with his friends to catch the train.  Alex stood from the table to find somewhere to be alone when she spotted Fred and George with Lee Jordan by the Entrance Hall, heading for the station as well.