33. We're talking about Fred, right?

The week before exams, Alex was doing her best to study for them and forget about whatever else was going on around her

The week before exams, Alex was doing her best to study for them and forget about whatever else was going on around her.  She and Fred didn't so much as glance at each other, which was a very distinct difference from the rest of the year.  But Alex did her best to not dwell on it.

She continued helping George study for his Potions exams because he actually wanted to do well on it and Alex was very knowledgeable when it came to that subject.  However, it was during a late night session that George wanted to clear the air between him and her (and Fred indirectly.)

"Alex?" He said, causing her to look up from the textbook she had been quizzing him out of.

"Yes?"

"We're okay, right?" He asked genuinely.  "I mean, I know my twin is being a prat but you and I are okay, right?"

Alex smiled and nodded.  "Yes, we're okay, Georgie."

He smiled out of relief.  "Good, and to be perfectly honest, Fred is really being a prat, but he can't seem to pull his head from his arse."

That caused Alex to snort and shake her head.  "He's entitled to his feelings, however wrongfully guided they may be," she told him.

George laughed at her comment before looking at her again. "He didn't kiss her, ya know."

Alex furrowed her brow. "Who?  Fred?"

He nodded.  "The night of the quidditch final, he and that girl just danced but he stopped when you left the party," he told her.

The thought sent an exciting jolt through Alex, but she played it off with a shrug.  "He can do whatever he pleases, George," Alex responded.  "He doesn't have to justify anything, especially not to me."

"I know that," George stated.  "But I just want to clear the air, that's all.  Maybe you'd like to do the same?"

Alex looked up from the textbook.  "How so?"

"The kiss with Cedric?" George asked, not maliciously, just more curious.

Rolling her eyes, she shook her head.  "If you must know or if someone else wants to know, I kissed Cedric because he offered to tell me if he thought I was a bad kisser," she stated.  "Not that I owe you or anyone else an explanation, but I thought because someone else left so abruptly that night that I was a bad kisser.  Cedric only confirmed I wasn't."

Now it made sense to George, who nodded in understanding.  "Well, I'm sure someone else will feel stupid when they realize that."

Alex nodded.  "I'm sure they will," she agreed, the both of them falling silent for a few moments before George spoke up again.

"We're talking about Fred, right?"

With next year being her fourth year, Alex knew it would be an important one because then she would be taking her O.W.L.s the following year.  She wanted to do well on them since she still didn't have an idea as to what career she wanted to pursue.