13. I see a kiss between us in the future

In the weeks that followed after Alex's birthday, she made a point to avoid Fred, or rather, make sure that they weren't alone again

In the weeks that followed after Alex's birthday, she made a point to avoid Fred, or rather, make sure that they weren't alone again. It wasn't that she hated him for trying to kiss her, she just felt like it would be awkward between them, seeing as she had rejected the kiss.

School had been beginning to get stressful for them. Though, almost everyone had to agree Defense Against the Dark Arts was their favorite class. Even Alex enjoyed it, despite the boggart lesson. Lupin had tried several times to talk to her but Alex was avoiding it, knowing he wanted to address the boggart.

With the beginning of October, it meant quidditch season was upon them. Most of the team had gathered after dinner one day to have a heart to heart but one person was missing from the team.

"Where's Alex?" Wood asked.

Everyone sent confused glances, especially to Harry as they were close friends.  "She wasn't in the common room this morning," he told them.  "I think she mentioned something about studying after dinner last night when I last talked to her."

"I think I know where she is," Fred spoke, standing from his seat.  "I'll go and get her, be right back!"

Without waiting for a response, he took off out of the Great Hall and in the direction of the library.

Alex sat next to Cedric, rubbing her temples as he tried to re-explain the wand movement for the spell they were working on.  In front of them sat two incomplete transfiguration attempts of turning a gecko into a goblet.  While they both held the shape, the goblets themselves still had the curled tail and the sides were scales.

"My head is going to explode," she grumbled. "I just can't get it."

"That's not true," he laughed before demonstrating the moment with his own wand, returning the gecko to its original shape.  "See?  Now you try it."

After another failed attempt, Alex's head fell on the table with a groan.  "Can't I just drop Transfiguration?" She mumbled, slamming her head gently against the table with each word.  "I'm doomed to never be good at it."

"You just have to picture the shape the gecko was originally in your mind as you do the spell," he told her, which caused her to groan.

"Now you tell me," she joked.

"C'mon, one more try," he told her.

Grumbling, she grabbed her wand before taking a deep breath and looking at the scaley goblet.  She did as Cedric suggested and pictured the original shape in her mind before looking at the goblet again.

"Reparifage!" She spoke, mimicking Cedric's wand movement that he had shown her.

Suddenly, where the scaley goblet had been, there was now a gecko, crawling across the table, seeming relieved to be back to its shape.  "I did it!" She exclaimed, turning to hug Cedric, who laughed and hugged her back.