23. Alexandria Selwyn, (see also, Sirius Black's daughter)

The walk to McGonagall's office was very awkward

The walk to McGonagall's office was very awkward. She had received quite the earful from the professor about how reckless she was for not bringing the broomstick to her sooner. Alex kept her mouth shut the entire time, knowing she deserved every second of it.

Luckily, they made it to her office in no time and Alex took a handful of Floo powder before stepping into the fireplace. She gave McGonagall one last smile.

"Have a safe holiday, professor," she told her before releasing the powder and yelling out, "The Three Broomsticks!"

Stumbling into the Inn, Madam Rosmerta was standing at the bar, doing some inventory when she heard Alex enter. A large smile spread across her face as she walked over and engulfed Alex into a hug.

"I'm happy you decided to come and spend the rest of the holiday with me," she told Alex. "It can get quite lonely."

Rosmerta was an only child and her parents had died a few years prior. Yes, she had cousins, aunts, and uncles, but no one she was really close with. And she had yet to find a man who could keep up with her, or so she liked to joke with Alex.

"I'm just grateful you said yes," Alex laughed as they walked up the stairs that led to Rosmerta's flat.

Upon entering, Alex smiled at the familiarity of it. It smelled of a burning log fire, fresh butterbeer, and Rosmerta's flowery perfume. The flat was a simple set up with a kitchen, a living room and a dining area. Down the hall was four doors; two bedrooms, the bathroom, and a linen closet. It was a comfort to Alex to be back there.

"You can take the spare bedroom like you used to when you were younger," Rosmerta told Alex with a smile. "I'm working on cooking dinner, so you can relax."

"I can help you cook," the young girl offered, walking to the room to set her belongings down.

"If you'd like," Rosmerta responded before heading to the kitchen.

Alex did help Rosmerta, but they ended up making more of a mess as they cooked, chucking bits of food at each other as a joke.  Eventually, they did managed to make a nice Christmas ham, along with mashed potatoes, and an array of vegetables and rolls.

"So Alex," Rosmerta began as they sat at the table, "how come you never told me who your father was?"

Alex had been expecting this topic to come up, but she still felt her stomach tighten.  "It's not exactly something I'd want to broadcast to the world," she responded, "would you?"

Rosmerta smiled softly.  "I s'ppose not." Then the topic was dropped.

They went back to eating their meal silently but Alex knew it would probably be brought up again.  After finishing their meal with two glasses of butterbeer, they settled into a game of Exploding Snap in the living room.

However, playing the game made her think of Fred and her chest tightened at the thought of him.  She hoped that he liked his Christmas present.  Even if they weren't friends, according to him, she had already bought him the present when she was in Hogsmeade before their fight.