12. Happy birthday, Alex! Let's trade Quidditch secrets!

"Happy birthday, dear Alex!  Happy birthday to you!" Everyone sang as the now one year old Alex looked around confused at all the guests in their home

"Happy birthday, dear Alex! Happy birthday to you!" Everyone sang as the now one year old Alex looked around confused at all the guests in their home.

With the war looming outside the door, it seemed futile to celebrate a birthday party but everyone insisted, so there they were, celebrating in Sirius and Alliana's home. That way, they could all be in the same place and still be safe from the terror that lurked outside the doors.

Lily snapped pictures of everyone while Alliana cradled her godson, who was barely a month and a half old, sleeping soundly in his godmother's arms. Sirius walked in from the kitchen with the boys trailing behind as they brought in Alex's birthday cake. Alex's young mind was quite oblivious to what was going on, but it made her clap happily to see all the familiar faces.

Sirius placed the cake in front of her and she looked around confused at everyone as she wasn't sure what to do. She looked to her dad for confirmation, who gave her a brief nod, causing her to cautiously stick her hand into the cake and then stuff it in her mouth, the sweetness engulfing her senses. She quickly began to eat more, even taking to shoving her entire face into the cake, causing everyone to laugh.

"You can wrestle her into the bath tonight, just so you know," Alliana pointedly told Sirius as they smiled down at their daughter.

Sirius shrugged, placing an arm around Alliana. "I guess I deserve that."

A few hours later, Harry laid on the floor, wide awake from his nap and looking at the loud toys laying around him. Alex waddled around, tripping occasionally as she was still figuring out the whole walking thing. The adults watched fondly as Alex sat next to Harry and began playing with him after Alliana strictly told her daughter to play nice and use soft hands.

"How can something so innocent occur in such dark times?" Lily asked as she watched the two children interacting. Sirius was sitting on the ground right in front of the two children, making silly faces at the two of them, causing them to fall into a fit of giggles.

"All that matters is getting through it, love," James told her as he placed protective arm around his wife.  "Don't dwell on the bad and think of the good that we do have."

"He's right," Remus stated with a nod.  "We have so much to be happy about and it's right here in front of us." He gestured to the two children sitting on the floor, playing with the toys.

Alliana smiled as she watched Sirius playfully throw Alex into the air as she laughed before he set her down.  Then they all watched as Alex waddled over and lovingly placed a soft kiss on Harry's forehead, causing them all the 'awww' at the moment.

"Maybe they'll end up being together when they're older," Alliana joked.

"Oh no!" Sirius exclaimed, "Not if Harry is anything like his father."