38. Great, a pair of hippogriffs have a better love life than me

"Hermione, what -" Harry began but was cut off by the bushy-haired girl

"In here!" She exclaimed, pulling the both of them into a broom closet just off to the side. She opened the door, shoved both of them in, and then closed it right behind them.

"OW!" Alex groaned, having run straight into a broom handle.

"What - how - Hermione, what happened?" Harry asked breathlessly.

"We've gone back in time," Hermione answered quietly, taking the chain off of both of their necks. "Three hours back..."

At Hermione's words, Alex's eyes widened in realization. They would have time to save her parents. That was if she wasn't dreaming like she suspected herself to be. "Harry, do me a favor and just punch me right in the arm, make sure I'm not dreaming," she spoke into the darkness.

"Only if you do the same," Harry responded.

Simultaneously, they punched each other in the arm as hard as they could. It only resulted in them whining out of the pain that would surely form into a bruise later. "Okay, definitely not dreaming," she confirmed.

"But -" Harry began to say but Hermione cut him off again.

"Shh! Listen! Someone's coming! I think - I think it might be us!" She said, her ear pressed against the door. "Footsteps across the hall... yes, I think it's us going down to Hagrid's!"

"Are you telling me that we're here in this cupboard and we're out there too?" Harry asked quietly.

"Yes," Hermione confirmed with her ear still against the door. "I'm sure it's us. It doesn't sound like more than four people... and we're walking slowly because we're under the Invisibility Cloak -" she paused to listen to what was happening outside the door. "We've gone down the front steps..." She then sat down on an upturned bucket, looking around anxiously but both Alex and Harry had about a million questions running through their head.

"Where did you get that hourglass thing?" Harry asked.

"It's called a Time-Turner," Hermione told them, "and I got it from Professor McGonagall on our first day back. I've been using it all year to get to all my lessons. Professor McGonagall made me swear I wouldn't tell anyone. She had to write all sorts of letters to the Ministry of Magic so I could have one. She had to tell them that I was a model student, and that I'd never, ever use it for anything except my studies... I've been turning it back so I could do hours over again, that's how I've been doing several lessons at once, see? But..." She paused, thinking to herself. "Guys, I don't understand what Dumbledore wants us to do. Why did he tell us to go back three hours? How's that going to help Sirius and Alliana?"

"Pause for one second," Alex cut off both of their trains of thought. "You have a Time-Turner and never once thought I could've used it to prevent that kiss between Fred and I?"