2. Nothing but bad news

Alex didn't sleep the rest of the night, which immediately she regretted when she heard Severus waking up the next morning and begin his day

Alex didn't sleep the rest of the night, which immediately she regretted when she heard Severus waking up the next morning and begin his day. She glanced around her room before seeing Hedwig asleep on her dresser.

She knew it was probably futile to try and ask him if she could spend the next few weeks at the Leaky Cauldron, but it didn't hurt to at least try. They would also have to talk about the argument they had the previous night.

Getting off her bed, Alex pulled on the same sweater and jeans she had put on the night before and made her way out of the room.  Severus was moving about in the kitchen when she walked in, preparing breakfast for the both of them.  He may not have been happy with her but he wasn't going to starve her.

After noticing her presence, he offered her a bowl of porridge, which she thanked him for before sitting at the table.  He claimed the spot across from her and they fell silent as they ate. Alex knew eventually that either she was going to have to say something or he was.

So she took the initiative.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled.

Severus looked up from his eating to see her looking down, unable to meet his eyes. "I had no right to say that to you," she continued.  "I guess I'm just still hurt that it's been five years and I haven't heard from mum at least once."

"You do know it is most likely for your safety," he told her. "Like I tried to say last night, we don't know if whoever was after your mum is still out there or if they are after you."

She nodded, stirring her porridge. "I suppose that is the hardest part to comprehend," she told him, "knowing someone was trying to hurt my mum and me being unable to protect her."

"But she wanted you protected," he reminded her.

Alex heaved a sigh before nodding. "I know," she replied.

They both fell silent as they turned back to eating their porridge separately before an owl landed at the window with their mail, as well as a copy of the Daily Prophet.  Seeing the owl reminded her of Hedwig asleep in her room and how she needed to ask if she could go to the Leaky Cauldron.

"Severus," she spoke as he grabbed the mail.  "Would it be possible for me to go spend the rest of the summer in the Leaky Cauldron?"  The look he gave her was a bewildered one, so she quickly continued.  "Harry's there and he was just wanting a friend to come and stay as well.  I thought it might be worth asking since you usually head up to the school a few weeks before the term starts and I need to get my supplies anyway."

He held up his finger, signaling her to wait as one particular letter caught his eye.  He ripped it open but Alex was unable to see who it was from, just that it was addressed to him.  After reading over the letter, he pursed his lips before looking back up at Alex, who had a hopeful look on her face.

"You say he's staying at the Leaky Cauldron?" He asked.

She nodded.  "Would it be okay if I went as well?" She asked.  "I don't want to go up to the school early and I know how much you hate when I insist you take me back to King's Cross Station."