CRIPPLES, BASTARDS, AND BROKEN THINGS

CASTLE BLACK

Jon and Grenn is sparring with Grenn in the courtyard. Pyp and Rast are all watching.

Jon: Leg, shoulder, leg. Left foot forward. Good. Now pivot as you deliver the stroke. Put all your weight behind it.

Grenn sees something over Jon's shoulder.

Grenn: What in Seven Hells is that?

Alden enters with a new recruit; Samwell "Sam" Tarly.

Pyp: They'll need an eighth Hell to fit him in.

The other recruits laugh.

Alden: Listen up, lads, all of ye! We have a new recruit. [to Sam] Tell them your name.

Sam: Samwell Tarly, of Horn Hill. I mean, I was of Horn Hill. I've come to take the black.

Rast: Come to take the black pudding!

The others laugh again

Alden: Shut it, Rast! Sam, follow me.. We need to get you set up for a -

Just as Alden and Sam start to head off, Thorne walks in.

Thorne: What do have we here, then?

Alden: New recruit. From Horn Hill.

Thorne: And you were planning on doing what exactly?

Alden: Defense practice. Might as well start him off nice and easy.

Thorne: Nice and easy doesn't really prepare you for what's beyond the Wall, does it? I'll take over from here, Grey. [to Sam] What was your name, again?

Sam: [nervously, to Thorne] Samwell Tarly.

Thorne: Right. [to Alden] Like I said, I'll take it from here. Commander Mormont has asked for you, Grey. Better move quick, now.

Alden: [confused] I don't see why Jeor couldn't come and asked for me himself...

Thorne: I said go.

Alden glares at Thorne

Thorne: [snidely] Go on. Before you betray someone else.

Alden scoffs and walks past him bumping his shoulder as he goes.

NARROW SEA

DROGO's khalasar have arrived at Vaes Dothrak, the Dothraki capital city. The entrance is marked by a pair of large horse statues. Danerys, Jorah, and Viserys are close to the front of the khalasar once again, and stop just before the entrance.

Jorah: Vaes Dothrak - the city of the horselords.

Viserys: A pile of mud. Mud and shit and twigs. Best these savages can do?

Daenerys: These are my people now. You shouldn't call them savages.

Viserys: I'll call them what I like, because they're my people. This is my army. Khal Drogo is marching the wrong way with my army.

He rides off. The rest of the khalasar continues on towards Vaes Dothrak.

Daenerys: If my brother was given an army of Dothraki, could you conquer the Seven Kingdoms?

Jorah: The Dothraki have never crossed the Narrow Sea. They fear any water their horses can't drink.

Daenerys: But if they did?

Jorah: King Robert is fool enough to meet them in open battle, but the men advising him are different.

Daenerys: And you know these men?