43 - Karma

While Mia was flying over the Atlantic, Danila and Kirill sat in front of each other with one empty and one half full bottle of vodka and two large shot glasses in front of them. Both of their faces bruised and cut, they didn't look like strong capable men. They looked like broken, sad, and weak little boys.

Neither one of them could believe what just happened and that Mia was truly gone. Her resolve was made of steel, they saw it.

"Why are you so quiet all of a sudden? You have nothing to say after ruining my life?" Kirill spoke drunkenly.

"Pffft I ruined your life? I didn't bussst through your front door and chase your girl away, did I?" Danila slurred.

"Your girl?!" Kirill furrowed his eyebrows as his eyes barely stayed open. "You're delusional, you know that?! I will fucking kill you, Danila! You ruined my life! You took my wife and she almost fucking died because of you-" Kirill stopped talking when he saw Danila lean back on his chair, smiling and shaking his head.

"No, Kirill. You won't kill me. And she didn't almosss die because of me! She was going to have a child! We were going to be a family! What would you have liked? That she be fucked by a random stranger instead?! Vladislav was going to give her away to some random fucker, you know that? While you sat comfor-rably in your cell. Behind bars forev- how did you get the fuck out anyway, hm? Thass whah I wanna know!" Danila was now barely able to make any words whole.

Kirill put his elbows on the table and buried his face in his hands. He couldn't figure out how things took such a drastic turn. But as he got more drunk, he began to understand why Mia left. Why would she spend time with men who used her like a pawn? Drugs, guns, crime, death. What kind of a life was that? Everyone played games for their own gain and she happened to be in the middle of it.

"You're an incredible monster, Danila! What did I ever do to you for you to betray me like that! I taught you everything you know! I brought you in and protected you! I trusted you more than...more than I trusted her." Kirill was fighting with tears. "And you...and you went and fucking stabbed me in the back. And I haven't shot a bullet through your head yet..." Kirill was chastising himself for his empathy.

"Yeah, you did. You did! You taught me how to be like you!" Danila was trying to absolve himself of guilt.

The two men talked for hours as their bodies and minds gave further into alcohol until both of them fell asleep right there at the dining room table.

Waking up early in the morning, Kirill saw Danila slumped over the table sleeping in front of him and withdrew his gun. Incredibly hung over and still a bit drunk, Kirill took the safety off and pointed the gun at Danila's sleeping head.

He sat there thinking it all over. He could shoot Danila now but then what? He just lost his wife, could he really lose Danila now too? Danila was a staple in his life for a very long time. Kirill hated to admit that Danila was probably right; Mia would never speak to him again if he killed him.

Kirill vaguely remembered what Danila said last night; if she wasn't with him, Vladislav would have given her away to a random stranger. Vladislav! That motherfucker has it coming, thought Kirill.

He put his gun away and roughly shoved Danila awake who groaned and refused to open his eyes.

"You should have pulled the trigger, Kiruha. I didn't want to wake up to this new reality."

Kirill stood up and looked down at a sad and depressed Danila. "Pull yourself together. Life will throw all kinds of awful shit your way. You need to learn how to power through and not give up at the first difficulty. We have work to do and we have to finish it now before that motherfucker figures out she left. I have people tracking her in New York but he has a lot of power too. Go shower and come by my house later."