42 - Breaking Point

As Danila sped toward the hospital, breaking all speeding rules and running red lights, Mia yelled and moaned from pain as she squeezed her fists and laid on Kirill who held her tightly. No one said anything after Danila explained what happened that morning.

Kirill carried Mia into the hospital, her holding on to him for dear life, her pain now forcing her teeth to chatter. Danila dragged a doctor out of an office and commanded the scared middle aged lady to help Mia. With the barrel of a gun pointing at her, the doctor asked no questions and brought Mia into a room and closed the door, leaving both Danila and Kirill standing in the hallway.

Only a minute later, nurses rushed in, and then another doctor came in, but Danila and Kirill were forbidden access as the love of their lives bled out just out of sight.

They both looked rough, their faces and knuckles glistening with each other's blood but neither one could focus on anything but her. If she died, they knew this was the end of them both.

All this time, Kirill waited to see her, and what he saw, broke him apart. She had been pregnant with Danila's child. This no longer warranted just anger. This was now devastation, trauma, ruin.

They both sat down in chairs in the hallway, one seat between them and sat silently, having nothing to say to each other. What felt like a decade later, the doctor came out and said,

"She is stable. She lost a lot of blood but we stopped it and she will need to stay here to recover. She is sleeping and is on heavy pain medication. Next time, go to the emergency, please. And also...there is a bathroom down the hall. Ask one of the nurses to help clean you up." She looked them both up and down with fear and trepidation as they both stood in front of her, completely towering and blocking all view.

"We will go see her." Kirill said right away but the doctor stepped in front of the door and said strictly, shaking her head.

"No. You won't. Whatever happened between all you three...she needs a break to rest. You will both have to wait." The doctor looked serious and defiantly stood in front of two killers, defending the poor girl she didn't even know. "Do what I told you. Go clean up."

Danila went to move the doctor away but Kirill stopped him. "Okay." He responded and the doctor left, leaving them both still standing in the hallway.

"I'm going to kill you, Danila." Kirill said as he watched the doctor disappear down the hallway.

Danila said nothing and headed toward the bathroom. They both got help for their cuts and bruises and one of the nurses wrapped Danila's knuckles as she tried to avoid all eye contact with him.

As the night went on and staff was far and few between, Kirill opened the door to Mia's room and they both quietly walked in. Seeing her in a hospital gown, pale and weak was too much for both of them. Not daring approach her, they both sat down on the floor beside the door, waiting for her to wake up.

"How far along was she?" Kirill asked defeated. He bent his legs at his knees and placed his long arms on them.

"Not too far. She got pregnant in January." Danila answered, blankly staring ahead.

"Mmm. And how did that happen?" Kirill spoke with a low voice but was calm. Danila's eyes flooded with tears again.

"I hid her birth control. And then I made her miss her pills. And I made sure I did what I could...to get her pregnant." Danila admitted quietly.

"Wow." Kirill responded and slowly shook his head at what he was hearing. "You have completely lost it, Danila. You've gone complete crazy. You need help."

Danila didn't say anything. He was beyond broken from everything that was happening to him and to her. It was all blowing up in his face.

"You couldn't do it. So I did. She had a healthy pregnancy." He responded with a small smile as Kirill slowly turned his head to him. A knife was pierced through Kirill's heart from those truthful words. He said nothing. "You're not going to kill me, Kirill. Because she will never speak to you again after that." Danila spoke up again. "So now that you're out...to my great surprise and sadness...we're going to have to figure out, together, how to resolve this."