16 - Mia's New Home

Time dragged on as Mia stayed at Danila's home trying to reconcile with her new living situation. She felt like she was a prisoner too, not able to go anywhere and most importantly, not able to live her life.

She tried to avoid Danila and spent a significant amount of time reading and working and left the room every time he came to join her. He noticed her actions but decided that it would take time for her to adjust to her new life and didn't push her.

Arriving at Vladislav's one day for dinner, she demanded to speak to him in private and asked for ownership in the company which she now worked for and spent time on everyday.

Vladislav shut her down without a second thought threatening her with Kirill's death if she started crossing boundaries.

"I asked Danila and he was truthful with me. You're not fulfilling all of your wife duties. He has provided you with a luxurious lifestyle. I don't want to check in on your bedroom activities again. If you don't hold up your side of the agreement, I won't hold up mine either."

Vladislav became a lot more abrupt and less accommodating as soon as she moved out of his house. Mia felt infuriated but completely trapped. She couldn't take a deep breath from the anxiety she was feeling and Vladislav was torturing her without any reservations.

"Next month we're finally opening the new mine. You better be there with Danila, smiling and your diamond ring sparkling on your hand while you hold his. Understand?" He spoke to her as he was looking at his notes on his desk.

Mia nodded but said nothing as she left his office and jumped into the car where Danila was waiting for her. He noticed she was upset but didn't press her for any details.

Danila was growing impatient. He'd hoped that their previous experience together would make her open up to him quicker but he saw that she was completely closed up and miserable.

Every single advance he made was rejected and she felt more distant and reserved than ever. She willingly participated in the kiss at Vladislav's sitting room the night of the engagement but now, Mia couldn't even look at him.

Mia was fighting with herself constantly. She noticed how attentive and accommodating Danila was but she felt absurd participating in this engagement when her real husband was behind bars. It was only a matter of time before she would be reconnected with Kirill again, nothing was real, she kept telling herself.

Once Mia recovered from the flu, every night after Danila fell asleep, she would quietly sneak out the door and sleep in another room. It's not that she didn't trust Danila, she didn't want to admit to herself that she didn't trust herself and wanted to hug and cuddle him. She felt so lost, abandoned and depleted. To her, Danila was both a happy memory and a painful reality.

Tonight, again, she listened for his breathing to turn even and quietly stepped off the bed and tip toed to the door but this time, he was awake.

"Don't go." He said gently and she froze in place. "Stay. I haven't touched you without your permission. Why do you leave every night?" He questioned as Mia stood in the darkened room.

She didn't know what to say to him. She wanted to stay. She wanted to feel his warm and smooth skin on hers. She wanted to get under the blankets and just stay with him until she woke up in his arms.

Danila sat up on the bed as he watched her silhouette illuminated from the faint light coming from the windows. She didn't know what to do so she took a small step forward but he repeated himself, louder this time.

"Don't go, Mia! Stay with me!"

Mia stopped in her tracks again but heard him get off the bed and approach her, stopping in front of her. He bent down to catch her gaze without touching her and she looked up at him, her heart and soul completely broken from her own feelings.