12 - Husband Pep Talk

Slowly jumping off the table and lowering her dress, Mia fell into Kirill's chest and his large arms grabbed her and he put his chin on the top of her head. The stayed like that hugging and breathing with each other until he spoke quietly,

"Are you ok? How are things?"

Mia was silent for a moment but tears collected at her eyes again and she sniffled.

"He wants to marry me off...he told me to forget about you and the only reason he hasn't killed you is because he doesn't want to hurt me. He's looking for a husband and tomorrow I have to meet a bunch of random men. And I saw Danila. He looks very different. And he came onto me. And I hate everything. I just want to be in your arms. Like this. Forever."

Mia finished meekly as Kirill listened to her every word. He wasn't prepared for this development and was quickly thinking of her circumstances.

"What did Danila say?" He asked coldly. Mia was surprised this is what he came back to and not the part about being married off.

"Nothing much. He knew I saw you."

That wasn't news to him, he was pretty sure Vladislav had knowledge of that too but seemed to have let it slide.

His authority and strength inside the prison was growing and Vladimir Mikhailovich had backed off completely at first. Kirill created unbearable conditions for him inside the prison and recently, Vladimir asked to be transferred to another location. This was exactly what Kirill was working toward. He was one step closer to getting out of there. 

"Where did you see Danila? Did he come find you?" He inquired but Mia shook her head.

"He was at some event I had to go to. He didn't tell me why he was there, it was organized by the Minister of Natural Resources and it was by invite only, for those who do what Vladislav does." She explained and it began to dawn on Kirill what Danila was working toward. Disappointed and angry, he realized that his old best friend seemed to now turn into an enemy.

"He is involved with Vladislav somehow then. I never asked around but I will." Mia shot her eyes up to look at him.

"He's involved with Vladislav? Why, why would you think that?" She questioned surprised.

"Why else would he show up there? He knows about your connection to him. I will find out more and tell you. As for your future husband, you will just have to get rid of whoever it happens to be." Kirill spoke matter of factly as he just encouraged her to kill a person.

Mia stared at him and felt both fear and pride being in his arms.

"I...I won't take a husband, are you crazy?!" She felt so disturbed thinking about it. He smiled at her strong opinions.

"You have no choice, baby. You're going to have to accept whoever it is but before you do that, make sure you take part ownership in the company. Make that your terms. Whoever he picks, that's the person you have to kill." Kirill spoke calmly. "Tell Vladislav that you came to visit me today and broke it off with me. He will stop checking on me and he will entrust you more."

But Mia shook her head,

"No. I can't get Anatoliy in trouble." She retorted thinking about her driver.

"Who is Anatoliy?" Kirill questioned with a small laugh.

"The driver. If Vladislav finds out he took me here, he'll-"

"You have no choice, Mia. It's either this Anatoliy's life or yours." Kirill grabbed her hands but she stepped back.

"You can't just play with people's lives like that. I can't endanger him and his family for nothing. I will figure something out." Mia felt uneasy about how easily Kirill talked about death and murdering whole families.