23 - Lunch With The Zhaos

Mia deeply regretted what she said to Danila in the hotel room. She felt foolish and embarrassed and thought about why did she what she did.

At lunch with the Zhao group, she smiled at everyone and participated in conversation but completely ignored Danila. Between chatter, she was mulling over why she couldn't resist him. Was it possible to love two men at the same time?

She loved Kirill, she knew that, there was no doubt in her mind and heart about how she felt about him.

But Danila was overtaking her mind and soul and heart and she saw how she was losing the fight with herself. He was like poisonous gas, getting into every crevice and tiny hairline crack and she kicked and screamed for it not to happen but it did.

She noticed how serious and concentrated he was and wondered what on earth was going through his head. Why did he reject her? Maybe because he was hurt, and wanted to answer back with the same.

"Mia? What do you think?" She heard Vladislav ask her but she had no idea what he was asking. She asked for the question to be repeated and he did.

"Mr. Zhao wants to know if it's possible to repeat the North American success of the engagement diamond in China and Russia? You've lived there your entire life, what do you think?" He pierced her with his gaze and waited for her to respond.

Mia smiled and gave it some thought. "It is possible...but it will require some time, I think. There is a different approach to engagements and weddings in America. Once you 'put a ring on it' you're signifying to the whole world that the girl belongs to you. The engagement period is a very significant part of the couple's life. I don't think that's the case here. But I think that we can position it so that every girl deserves a diamond. And her future husband needs to prove his dedication to her...by getting her the biggest one."

Mia ranted on not believing anything she said but she saw that both Vladislav and Mr. Zhao liked what she said. She also noticed that Mr. Zhao's son had not moved his eyes away from her.

"Do you think that once a woman has an engagement ring on her finger, she belongs to someone? Engagements break all the time." The son finally spoke up and looked directly at her as his eyes quickly darted to her engagement ring.

Danila didn't miss anything and watched their exchange. At this he leaned forward in his chair and looked straight at Mia. He also wanted to know the answer to this question even though he was beginning to get suspicious of the son's intentions.

Mia noticed the triangle she was placed in and smiled as she confidently and slowly pronounced,

"Yes. I think once you make a promise...not even death can break it." She slowly turned to Danila and pierced him with her eyes. She both wanted Danila and wanted to tell him that he would never replace Kirill.

"Really?" Danila questioned her now, "Even death?" He asked surprised. "So, you're telling me you would never find love again if I died, my baby?" He spoke in fake curiosity and lifted up her hand, kissing the inside of her palm and closing his eyes.

Mia's nostrils flared as she was enraged with Danila's behaviour of the day.

"Death breaks all promises." Responded the son and watched them both turn to him. The tension between the three could be felt in the private dining room as Mia began to blush and both men stared at each other.

Vladislav and Mr. Zhao were deep in their conversation with an interpreter and didn't notice what was happening right beside them.

"Rick? Would you all like to come out with us tonight? We like to have fun in Russia, don't we, Danila?" Mia turned to Danila with a sweet and fake smile while waiting for the son to respond.